1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calibrating a Digital Thermometer????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlackAce, Aug 17, 2013.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I bought an Accurite digital thermometer with the humidity reading from Home Depot over a month ago. I don' think it's correct and is there a way to check it?

I incubated my first batch of eggs about about a few months ago and got 2 out of 13 chicken eggs to hatch. I know crappy hatch rate but it was my first one and they were shipped eggs. I decided to try the digital thermometer on my second batch this time I had 8 chicken eggs and 8 duck eggs again, they were shipped eggs. This time I monitored it closely but I noticed that it didn't seem warm enough but I tried it any way using that as the main one. I did have a analog thermometer in there also and the reading between the two were way off. Well guess what I had ZERO hatch. They all seem to be doing well at first but at the end I had one duck egg which fully developed but never hatched. :(

Now I'm on my third batch of eggs. This time I have 12 chicken eggs and 8 turkey eggs and now I went back to the analog thermometer. Again these are shipped eggs and I know that the hatch rate isn't good on them, but I am pretty certain that I didn't get any hatches on my second batch is because the temp was to low.

The reading I get between the two is close to 10 degree defference. I also did the calibration test with the ice water on my analog thermometer and I know its correct.

2. jnjmanning

jnjmanning Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Sullivan Missouri
    If you know your analog is correct, then just subtract the difference in it and the digital.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by