Calibrating my Hygrometer

KC n KY

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 10, 2010
Grayson, KY
I recieved a Binsea Octagon Eco for Christmas
big_smile.png
I also got a digital hygrometer ( $6.00 cheapie at Walmart) I calibrated it twice. Once I just dumped a 1/2 cup of table salt in a cup, and then added 1/4 cup of water and sealed it with the hygrometer in a bag. I forgot to stir
idunno.gif
The Hygrometer read 63% Then I came home, stirred the mixture and dumped the contents back in the bag, put the hygrometer in the bag, and sealed it. My next eading came in at 60% Humidity
he.gif
What did I do wrong? Is it possible for the hygrometer to be off that much?

Yes, I've heard of those Springfield hygrometers being off by that much! I calibrated mine last week and after the 8-10 hours recommended, it was at 68%. I left it in the bag overnight and by morning it read 75%. It held the 75% for more than 24 hours (I didn't open the bag during that time) and then started to slowly drop. May I recommend that you start over with fresh salt and leave it for at LEAST 24 hours before reading it? If it doesn't get closer you can still use it and just adjust your humidity by the number of points it is off.

A plus side to being a cigar smoker is we usually have an analog hygrometer in our humidor. The down side is the real cheap ones, like my original, are not adjustable. For about 6 bucks one can pick up a humidor size adjustable, 1-3/4" face with screw calibration.

Back
Top Bottom