Calico Princess Laid 2 eggs this morning??

Kimmyk80

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
My Calico Princess hen is always the first one to lay in the morning, and she always lays jumbo eggs. So I collected her first egg when I fed this morning and she happily went out to eat. 15 minutes later I went back out and she is on the nest again. None of my other hens even start to lay until usually around 9-10. Anyway, I reach under her, and there is another egg! It is jumbo (which only she lays), but this one is misshapen. How does a hen lay 2 eggs within 15 minutes of each other? And I know it was her because A) she was the only hen who had been on the nest and B)she is the only hen I have that lays jumbo eggs.

Well, they don't....usually.
Pics of both eggs please?
How old is this bird and how long has she been laying.
Egg on left is first egg. Second pic shows the deformities, including a hole that goes through the shell, but not into the membrane. The hole was caused simply by me picking it up. The shell is super thin in that side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 20
Egg on left is first egg. Second pic shows the deformities, including a hole that goes through the shell, but not into the membrane. The hole was caused simply by me picking it up. The shell is super thin in that side.
She is almost a year old and has been lying since mid-late October.

It was just so weird. I didn’t even know a hen could lay 2 eggs in one day. The shell was so thin that I’m surprised it didn’t break before she laid it. She’s back out grazing happily with the flock, so I guess she’s ok:)

Back
Top Bottom