California, coop ideas help needed

Maybe I have never been to California, but I am pretty good at reading. OP says the winter temps don't get lower than 30s, and 2 days of snow per year. Most people would consider that mild.

Not everyone wants to put their exact city on their profile because of all the crazy stalkers on the internet. The OP provided enough info for the advice she requested.
Didn't mean to offend, and I did read the OP's winter temps, but my post was meant to address your generalized statement that (all) California has mild winters, not that you made a wrong statement about the OP's winters. I think it is funny that I didn't even see in your profile that you are from Calif!

I still feel it important to have a general idea of location. If the OP is in the Bay area, then summers are mild as well. I can think of plenty of areas here that are in the 30s in the winter and 100+ in the summer. More fog and humidity than dryer areas, but not Florida humidity.

An open air coop would probably work well there. A good roofed run with large overhangs, because that area can get some pretty good rains, and a three sided shelter at one end. Maybe a removable panel or two in case there is an odd hard freeze.

I have something like a miniaturized version of this coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas-coop-build-pic-heavy.1371038/

Mine is well roofed, too. Not because we have much rain in So Cal, but because the only legal location for my coop was where I had a shade house for my orchids. So I had to make sure the coop stays dry even as I water the orchids.

OSB shouldn't touch the ground .and painted or sealed with something like polyurethane weathers well .you should have plenty of room .For 4 or hens .Keep the OSB off the ground. Vent the little coop.One roost a couple of nesting boxes .Sounds like a plan to me.Sealing any wood that touches the ground makes it last years longer .

Tough time to build anything in In CA especially! I don’t know about other areas but yes wood prices are ridiculous!! if I had to build another coop right now I might consider the a frame style 😃 I’m in northern CA and Have had soooo much snow, I’d definitely make the coop not too airy... then buy a few nesting boxes from tractor supply... do a horizonal roost with litter beneath... just a thought. I wish I could send you this little recycled double pane window I have! It’s a cute coop size. 🤪 Another thing to consider, assuming you have a truck, is calling around to look for throw away shipping crates! usually they are recently built and only used once!

huge (4x8x8) coop
That is not huge.

Ok, so I am in the mountains where it snows and my chicken house is very open air. Chickens will not freeze to death especially in California. I would consider putting 3 sides on your run, add some roosts and a nest box predator proof that and call it done.

That is not huge.

Ok, so I am in the mountains where it snows and my chicken house is very open air. Chickens will not freeze to death especially in California. I would consider putting 3 sides on your run, add some roosts and a nest box predator proof that and call it done.
4x8x8 is pretty big for 7 chickens 🙃unfortunately chickens CAN freeze to death- even In California... especially if only 7 chickens are housed in a large coop with too much draft And no supplemental heat...May as well prep for what may come- don't ya think?

4x8x8 is pretty big for 7 chickens 🙃unfortunately chickens CAN freeze to death- even In California... especially if only 7 chickens are housed in a large coop with too much draft And no supplemental heat...May as well prep for what may come- don't ya think?
No, you do not need heat in a chicken coop almost anywhere. Just no.

Drafts are manageable

Prep for what? Global cooling?

Not intended to be funny, intended to provide factual information and avoid coop fires with unnecessary heating for animals that do not require heat.

Laugh all you want.
I apologize, I was Laughing at your global cooling comment. Facts are O.K but when you have many variables the information You provide is closer to strong opinion. I mentioned heat because of how cold it gets in a large and drafty coop- with a small amount of chickens- especially in snow. We raise chickens different than each other and that’s ok.

Back
Top Bottom