California, coop ideas help needed

LadyMe

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2012
Hey there. I have 2-5 chicks that I’ll have to build a coop for soon. I have a fenced 15x10ft area that is fully enclosed, welded wire over the top too. They’ll have occasional free roam of a larger area too. I’ve built a huge (4x8x8) coop for 7 chickens I had years ago, but it needed to stand up to hurricanes and snow. Here, it’s dry, cooler nights, usually no cooler than the 30’s in winter, and about 2 single days of snow a winter. So I don’t think I need as much interior room as I did there.
I plan on using the PDZ scoop tray for their droppings under the roost, so I need easy access for that. I was thinking 4x4x4 with a slant from 4”-3” but that’s still about $200 (4 sheets) in OSB right now. Does that size sound ok? Any other ideas? I’ve scoured Facebook for old coops or sheds, there’s nothing. I have 2x4s for framework and some sheets of roofing material. I’d like to buy a window....

I have 2-5 chicks that I’ll have to build a coop for soon.
How many chicks?
Guessing.... two 5 week olds?

Here, it’s dry, cooler nights, usually no cooler than the 30’s in winter, and about 2 single days of snow a winter.
Where is "here"?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1615040709862.png

Hey there. I have 2-5 chicks that I’ll have to build a coop for soon. I have a fenced 15x10ft area that is fully enclosed, welded wire over the top too. They’ll have occasional free roam of a larger area too. I’ve built a huge (4x8x8) coop for 7 chickens I had years ago, but it needed to stand up to hurricanes and snow. Here, it’s dry, cooler nights, usually no cooler than the 30’s in winter, and about 2 single days of snow a winter. So I don’t think I need as much interior room as I did there.
I plan on using the PDZ scoop tray for their droppings under the roost, so I need easy access for that. I was thinking 4x4x4 with a slant from 4”-3” but that’s still about $200 (4 sheets) in OSB right now. Does that size sound ok? Any other ideas? I’ve scoured Facebook for old coops or sheds, there’s nothing. I have 2x4s for framework and some sheets of roofing material. I’d like to buy a window....
You can make the coop entirely out of wire and throw a tarp over it during the winter. California has such mild weather the chickens would be fine. OSB isn't waterproof so i think you would need covering on the outside either way.

California has such mild weather the chickens would be fine.

I think people who generalize like this have never been to California. It is a big state, latitude, biome, and elevation wise - more diverse in climates than any other state. I say this as a current So Cal coastal girl who has also lived in the Eastern Sierras and the high desert. Granted, nowhere do we ever get the truly arctic winter conditions of so many states, but the residents of our many ski areas would laugh at you calling their winters "mild." Mammoth Lakes had a winter not too long ago where the ski lifts were actually in trenches the snow was so high. Then there is the rainy and foggy northern coast, the extreme heat of the Mohave summer, etc.

So aart is right, we need to know the location!

I keep an open air coop in Los Angeles, but would not recommend that for some other areas in California. The OP says dry cool nights, but what about summer temps? Is there a rainy season?

Last edited:
I think people who generalize like this have never been to California.
Maybe I have never been to California, but I am pretty good at reading. OP says the winter temps don't get lower than 30s, and 2 days of snow per year. Most people would consider that mild.

Not everyone wants to put their exact city on their profile because of all the crazy stalkers on the internet. The OP provided enough info for the advice she requested.

Thank you. 😊
Maybe I have never been to California, but I am pretty good at reading. OP says the winter temps don't get lower than 30s, and 2 days of snow per year. Most people would consider that mild.

Not everyone wants to put their exact city on their profile because of all the crazy stalkers on the internet. The OP provided enough info for the advice she requested.

How many chicks?
Guessing.... two 5 week olds?

Where is "here"?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2557532
I need to house 2 -5 hens.

Back
Top Bottom