California Greys???

Pics
I got a single pullet chick that was labelled as a California Grey Leghorn. Impulse buy, never had heard of the breed before and once I looked it up, I realized I must have a California White, as she was a yellow chick and has feathered out white. She is my favorite one out of a mix of Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, Orpingtons and Amberlinks. So far (they are about 10 weeks old now) very calm and about the same size as the Amberlinks, she does have the leghorn style tail feathers. I named her "Bomber" because she's so right there ALL THE TIME that she ends up in every photo I take. This is the one in particular that prompted the name.

You got it. They use a California Grey Cockerel and a white Leghorn hen to get that California White. Nice looking birds. That Barred Rock in the wood pile makes them very personable and less neurotic. The CA Greys jump on my knee when I'm sitting down, jump on my arm, and follow me around like puppies. They really jump at sudden movements or noises though. They pay close attention to anything flying above which means they'll be good hawk dodgers.

My CA Grey babies are the most friendly of all of my new chicks. Like Michael said, on my knee on my arm and even on my head once. I would like to keep more than I can. Sweet birds!

Last edited:
Just an update. I am down to one CA Grey. Rehomed the rest which was my plan all along but I still wish I could have kept them all. I did keep my favorite who is the one pictured above. She is 7 weeks old and she and my chocolate barred rock and an Easter Egger get the sweetness awards. Not flighty at all but then I do have them in with Icelandics so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

I want to than Michael Apple who was the first to draw my attention to this breed. I wanted a white egg layer who would be less filghty than the avg white egg layer. Of course I know nothing about the eggs this gal will lay but as far as being a lap chicken, she is what I wanted.

I got mine from Privett and am really pleased with their size and health. I think I will always have one or two and look forward to seeing what this little gal does in terms of production.

Just an update. I am down to one CA Grey. Rehomed the rest which was my plan all along but I still wish I could have kept them all. I did keep my favorite who is the one pictured above. She is 7 weeks old and she and my chocolate barred rock and an Easter Egger get the sweetness awards. Not flighty at all but then I do have them in with Icelandics so maybe it's not a fair comparison.

I want to than Michael Apple who was the first to draw my attention to this breed. I wanted a white egg layer who would be less filghty than the avg white egg layer. Of course I know nothing about the eggs this gal will lay but as far as being a lap chicken, she is what I wanted.

I got mine from Privett and am really pleased with their size and health. I think I will always have one or two and look forward to seeing what this little gal does in terms of production.

You're welcome, Tommysgirl. You might want to check these folks out since I think you're close to them: http://humboldtpoultry.org/
I've heard good things about the membership. Sadly we have nothing like that in my area. Here's a few picks at 10 weeks:
CA Grey cockerel

CA Grey pullet

I like to see that barred pattern with the Leghorn fan tails. They are still more skittish than I'm used to, but that only means I have to approach them more gently. This is an example of what I'm used to:

I'll always love the Wyandottes. I call them clouds with legs. She was the last of a breeding trio I had and lost her rooster mate recently. Not bad for 9 year old hen. She has blended in quite nicely with the CA Grey flock but thinks she's the boss.

Last edited:
Michael Apple and tommysgirl

i have been out to my orchard for the last 6 weeks working my butt off.(80 miles from my city apartment

really thankful for the great information on the grey personality especially
in comparison to other breeds ! and michael - you are right about people
not researching enough or the honest breed discriptions just not being available.
i thought getting chickens would be the simplest thing - and 2 years later i still
have a small handfull of choices to sort out. ( sometimes i read about chickens 8 hours a day.)
i will get the cal grey now thanks to your information. it really made the difference.
(also REALLY valuable to hear that they are sky watchers + barred feathers - good survivors then!)
(also your valuable description of the male, they where intended to be a dual purpose dispite the smaller size.)

can't thank you enough for the time saved in searching for answers.
robert braun [email protected]

critch01 = i often read that california white is a favorite of people - you too hu...
hmm.png

Last edited:
Michael Apple and tommysgirl

i have been out to my orchard for the last 6 weeks working my butt off.(80 miles from my city apartment

really thankful for the great information on the grey personality especially
in comparison to other breeds ! and michael - you are right about people
not researching enough or the honest breed discriptions just not being available.
i thought getting chickens would be the simplest thing - and 2 years later i still
have a small handfull of choices to sort out. ( sometimes i read about chickens 8 hours a day.)
i will get the cal grey now thanks to your information. it really made the difference.
(also REALLY valuable to hear that they are sky watchers + barred feathers - good survivors then!)
(also your valuable description of the male, they where intended to be a dual purpose dispite the smaller size.)

can't thank you enough for the time saved in searching for answers.
robert braun [email protected]

critch01 = i often read that california white is a favorite of people - you too hu...
hmm.png

You're welcome. The California Grey was bred primarily for egg production. With the development of industrialized egg production since the time of this breed's development, motivated by primarily by greed, they were too large of a bird to be adaptable to battery cages. That caused them to not be sought after like the pure bred Leghorn and a few other smaller breeds. That said, the California grey is not a "dual purpose" breed commonly understood as used for meat and egg production. They are generally more docile than Leghorns in my experience.

I would not recommend the more flighty and fearful breeds for beginners. If a person, new to all the particulars of the more flighty breeds, has their heart set on one, I would recommend a large covered poultry yard (mine is 40' x 30' ) with aviary netting/ chicken wire. Flighty breeds tend to scare easily with sudden movements and end up high in a tree, putting them at risk for predators if not caught by dusk. Many of us who keep chickens on our property prefer to give them range time. That means they must be coaxed back in to the yard when you want them there. I lure mine in with the shaking of a can of scratch. The reward comes upon all of them following me back in the yard. They then go into the coop from the yard as darkness falls.There will always be a few rebels in the group.
smile.png

I have never kept California Whites, but saw chicks in a brooder once. Cute chicks, but aren't they all? My fear for a healthy egg producing line of birds is that they will become too popular and the genetics will be compromised. Many of us have seen this happen with sex links, Leghorns, Plymouth Rocks, etc. If one has the interest in breeding and genetics, I'd encourage them to preserve healthy generations not just for our sake, but for the quality of life the bird may have. Greed has done so much damage to just about every aspect of life.

Hey Michael are you getting any eggs yet? I think your girls are about 6 weeks to a month older than mine and well you know that wait to the first egg is HARD! :)

Hey Michael are you getting any eggs yet? I think your girls are about 6 weeks to a month older than mine and well you know that wait to the first egg is HARD! :)

Hey Tommysgirl. My oldest are 19 weeks now (hatched 3/20) and predictably no eggs. They are getting a layer ration mixed in with their starter grower, so when 20 weeks hits, they'll be on a good layer ration. Serious problems can result from changing diet too soon anyway. They'll lay when nature intends it. The rooster has his aggression developing, but he's just a growing boy. He's quite protective over his hens, which I like to see. He's tried to get me a few times, so I pick him up, carry him around a bit, and then set him down. He likes standing on my knee and getting a scratch treat out of my hand.

Thanks for the info! Have they been squatting or are their wattles and combs turning? Of my current 6 only 4 are laying, one is brooding chicks and the other is a non-layer for the most part. Just getting anxious to up the egg count
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom