California - Northern

We had her in a moveable cage on the lawn so it could be like a chicken tractor. This morning I woke up to sprinkles and got up at 2: 00 a.m. to drag a piece of metal roofing over and weigh it down with a brick (not easy to do by flashlight while holding a robe shut because the tie was MIA). It worked good for the sprinkles we were getting. Made it to Woodland and back in time to get her moved before the gullywasher hit. I was worried sick the whole way home. North of Stockton the rain was horrendous. Terrible visibility. Anyway, she was happy and dry. We moved them into the broody house. Our broody house is an old 10 x 12 play house that was built in the 1960's. I have lights hanging from the rafters over individual broody boxes. It works pretty good. She is obviously not under a light. Happy as a clam! And we got to see her babies. It is the cutest thing! 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes and 3 EE's. Since she only had 5 eggs due to hatch, I'd say she was pretty successful for a first time mommy! I love how she talks to her babies. Breaking up the food and dropping it for them. Tucking them back in. It's all adorable. There is 5 chicks hiding under there!
Beautiful momma hen:) it's so nice when they prove to be good mommas!

Our ducklings are getting huge! My chickens don't know what to think about them yet, but so far no drama with them free ranging today.

Last night my bulb for my heat lamp went out, I walked in and the bulb was cool meaning it had been out a while. All 5 baby Wyandotte's were underneath my month+ old Cream Legbar's wings because they were so cold, poor babies. Of course it happened at night when the feed store was closed, so I put a heater in my room to get them through the night. Woke up sick, had to ask my mom to go buy a new bulb for me.
Integrating the youngsters to the main flock by putting them in a wire dog crate in the run, came out to find both Buff Polish had bloody tails. Don't know how it happened, I think the crazy Marans chicks may have picked at them. Sprayed them with Blue Kote and put them back into their brooded. Poor babies!
Been a crazy couple days for chickens. I did sell one of my hens to a nice family so now I can get another breed I've been wanting
smile.png
What breed are you gonna get now Adri????

We had her in a moveable cage on the lawn so it could be like a chicken tractor. This morning I woke up to sprinkles and got up at 2: 00 a.m. to drag a piece of metal roofing over and weigh it down with a brick (not easy to do by flashlight while holding a robe shut because the tie was MIA). It worked good for the sprinkles we were getting. Made it to Woodland and back in time to get her moved before the gullywasher hit. I was worried sick the whole way home. North of Stockton the rain was horrendous. Terrible visibility. Anyway, she was happy and dry.

We moved them into the broody house. Our broody house is an old 10 x 12 play house that was built in the 1960's. I have lights hanging from the rafters over individual broody boxes. It works pretty good. She is obviously not under a light. Happy as a clam! And we got to see her babies. It is the cutest thing! 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes and 3 EE's. Since she only had 5 eggs due to hatch, I'd say she was pretty successful for a first time mommy!

I love how she talks to her babies. Breaking up the food and dropping it for them. Tucking them back in. It's all adorable.

There is 5 chicks hiding under there!

Sweet Rebecca,..............What we don't do for these chickens.....LOL Jules @fortyfivefarm & I went up above Ron's to Kim's in Guinda not too long ago & now will be going up again in September to pick up Dexter heifers. I am so excited. Jules loves road trips. We are taking one today to @AlpineButterfly in Sunnyvale for her Chicken Birthday Party.....I better go get my deviled eggs done.
That is EXACTLY what I said when I first looked at them.
lol.png
They really do look like baby hippos.
I used to have New Zealand whites & Californians & plan on having Californian again Babies bunnies are so cute & soft who can resist them at a couple of week old??? LOL

Melvins Babies are getting huge!! They are about 12 weeks old now. My original "project" was Favorolles X Red Ranger, but that didn't happen. I know the black ones are Favorolles X Australorp. No Idea with the others. They sure are pretty though.

This is Walter. He is the most "people friendly" of all the chicks. Any one know what he is? I thought has was a Seabrite, but now that he's grown I don't think that's right.

What breed are you gonna get now Adri????

Sweet Rebecca,..............What we don't do for these chickens.....LOL  Jules @fortyfivefarm
 & I went up above Ron's to Kim's in Guinda not too long ago & now will be going up again in September to pick up Dexter heifers. I am so excited. Jules loves road trips. We are taking one today to @AlpineButterfly
 in Sunnyvale for her Chicken Birthday Party.....I better go get my deviled eggs done.
I used to have New Zealand whites & Californians & plan on having Californian again Babies bunnies are so cute & soft who can resist them at a couple of week old???  LOL
hey this is good news! When you come to get the heifer maybe I can come over and get coronation Sussex eggs or chicks from 45farm and bring you CA greys.

Melvins Babies are getting huge!! They are about 12 weeks old now. My original "project" was Favorolles X Red Ranger, but that didn't happen. I know the black ones are Favorolles X Australorp. No Idea with the others. They sure are pretty though.

This is Walter. He is the most "people friendly" of all the chicks. Any one know what he is? I thought has was a Seabrite, but now that he's grown I don't think that's right.

I love it, couch chicks, lol.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom