California - Northern

Hey Folks, we are traveling to the Poultry Show in Modesto right now. I'm so dang excited! I didn't think ahead but if anyone needs anything brought back to, or would like to meet in, Mendo Co, we could possibly do a transport for you. Hope to meet some of you today!

Hpw can you tell if a bird (turkey) has an impacted crop? I was giving my tom attention and noticed his crop feels hard and full he also keeps acting like he has hiccups. Am i just worrying or what do i do?

Hpw can you tell if a bird (turkey) has an impacted crop? I was giving my tom attention and noticed his crop feels hard and full he also keeps acting like he has hiccups. Am i just worrying or what do i do?

An impacted crop will typically feel large and quite hard, and most of all it will not empty over the course of the day. Generally, a bird's crop should be empty when you let it out in the morning, full after it has eaten for the first time of the day, and then over the day it will shrink some, until the bird fills it's crop again just before night falls. If the bird's crop is not emptying, that's impacted crop. You should separate the bird and remove all food. For now, you can give the bird some vegetable oil and water with baking soda, and check the crop regularly to see if the impaction has begun to pass.

An impacted crop will typically feel large and quite hard, and most of all it will not empty over the course of the day. Generally, a bird's crop should be empty when you let it out in the morning, full after it has eaten for the first time of the day, and then over the day it will shrink some, until the bird fills it's crop again just before night falls. If the bird's crop is not emptying, that's impacted crop. You should separate the bird and remove all food. For now, you can give the bird some vegetable oil and water with baking soda, and check the crop regularly to see if the impaction has begun to pass.
Nice to meet you today at the show.

he has his own coop so ill check his crop in the morning and if it hasnt emptied ill give him the water and oil. how much baking soda and would olive or peanut oil work?

Back
Top Bottom