California - Northern

can chickens have garbonzo beans? I have a lot left over from a can and Im cleaning out the fridge
As long as they are cooked enough to remove the toxin.

Kidney beans are the worst for the toxin. They do not need to be cooked too much and the canned beans would be fine.

Make sure they do not have added salt and then go ahead and feed it to them.

As long as they are cooked enough to remove the toxin.

Kidney beans are the worst for the toxin. They do not need to be cooked too much and the canned beans would be fine.

Make sure they do not have added salt and then go ahead and feed it to them.
Chose not to they got lots of squash apple and salad

Hello Northern Cal group, I thought I share my adventure of chicken raising. My chicks are 21 week old and the girls are finally starting to lay eggs!! I don't know who laid the first two eggs but the third one was from my Light Sussex. My husband says it should be golden eggs because of the amount of $$$ we spent getting the coop and run built and taking care of them, LOL!! Im new to chicken raising and i love the journey, I think it is worth every $$$ we spent.

I just ordered a incubator so I can hatch some eggs, i need to replace The chicks and the rooster i lost. I started with 26 of day old chicks and I'm currently down to 14 and i have 3 more rooster and that will leave me with 11 hens. I will need to re-home my Lavender Roo and two Silkie Roo, i'm sad but i have too. If anyone looking for a sweet rooster to your like to add to your flock, please message me.

Hello Northern Cal group, I thought I share my adventure of chicken raising. My chicks are 21 week old and the girls are finally starting to lay eggs!! I don't know who laid the first two eggs but the third one was from my Light Sussex. My husband says it should be golden eggs because of the amount of $$$ we spent getting the coop and run built and taking care of them, LOL!! Im new to chicken raising and i love the journey, I think it is worth every $$$ we spent.

I just ordered a incubator so I can hatch some eggs, i need to replace The chicks and the rooster i lost. I started with 26 of day old chicks and I'm currently down to 14 and i have 3 more rooster and that will leave me with 11 hens. I will need to re-home my Lavender Roo and two Silkie Roo, i'm sad but i have too. If anyone looking for a sweet rooster to your like to add to your flock, please message me.
LoL my wife joked First egg costs about 6 grand the all rest are free

The co-op finally got bantams that survived shipping and I brought home 3 wee ones for a broody that has been sitting on an egg for well over a month.

I took a chance she would accept them now rather than waiting till dark. She freaked out when I took the egg away but snuggled right back down on the chicks and the egg when I put it back in her corner.

When I find the camera cord I'll share the baby pictures. My guess is either OEGB or dutch bantam, pretty sure they are blue though. The 3rd chick I brought home was not doing well in the brooder, figured it stood a better chance under a Mom. I will keep my fingers crossed for it to gain some strength.

So much for not adding anymore hatchery birds.:idunno

The co-op finally got bantams that survived shipping and I brought home 3 wee ones for a broody that has been sitting on an egg for well over a month.

I took a chance she would accept them now rather than waiting till dark. She freaked out when I took the egg away but snuggled right back down on the chicks and the egg when I put it back in her corner.

When I find the camera cord I'll share the baby pictures. My guess is either OEGB or dutch bantam, pretty sure they are blue though. The 3rd chick I brought home was not doing well in the brooder, figured it stood a better chance under a Mom. I will keep my fingers crossed for it to gain some strength.

So much for not adding anymore hatchery birds.
idunno.gif
Can't wait to see the pictures.

I actually got it for 99 dollars. I found a thread on BYC that offered us a special. It was still working.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/990541/reptipro-6000-digital-egg-incubators-exclusive-byc-price

I did spend an extra 40 bucks on a turner. With my busy life I am sure I could forget.

Let me know about a week out when you want eggs so I can start collecting them for you.
Holy moly, how have I never seen that thread? I am also a reptile fanatic, so I want to order a dozen at that price! I just blew my luxuries budget on a nice fish tank I'd been saving up for so I settled for just one (for now). Thank you for posting the link!

You are hysterical. Look Ms. Professional, send yourself a text message or snap a photo with your smartphone when you loan something out, then you'll be able to refer back to it. My memory is for doodoo, but my smartphone doesn't have that same problem, fortunately! Hugs, Dawn

I use the sending-myself-a-text trick to remember things, too.

idunno.gif
Always fun to hear of a successful grafting! Hatchery chicks getting a chance to be hen raised warms my icy little heart.
lol.png

Glad to hear you are hatching! The birds i have from you are WONDERFUL. What color orps? I have a polish of yours and welsummer. they are 3 now. still good layers too.
I am hatching Blues and Cuckoos. I loved the Welsummers but no longer raise them. They were really awesome birds.

I heard a story, I think here on BYC, that someone had an 18 year old bird that laid 40 eggs its last year. Crazy. I have a pet flock of mostly bantams. They are 6-7 years old and I get 4-6 eggs a day from the 13 hens. Seems pretty good for a group of golden girls.

idunno.gif
I have heard more horror stories about lost chicks this year than ever before. I also notice that USPS priority is now 1-4 days instead of 1-3 days. I gave up on shipped birds years ago. I would much rather get eggs that I don't have to worry about, or pick up local chicks.

There are plenty of breeders here in Northern California that have chicks if you want nice birds. If you can't have boys, there are plenty of auto-sexing breeds you can choose from. For example: Welsummers (dark brown eggs) Cream Legbars (blue eggs) Amelias (Ron or Jason do you still raise these). The list goes on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom