California - Northern

I'm in Stockton and have always thought of myself as a Northern Californian. I kind of see the Grapevine as the dividing point, but maybe folks in Bakersfield and Fresno think of themselves as Southern Californians? If you look on a map Stockton is almost smack dap in the middle of the state.

I'm in Stockton and have always thought of myself as a Northern Californian. I kind of see the Grapevine as the dividing point, but maybe folks in Bakersfield and Fresno think of themselves as Southern Californians? If you look on a map Stockton is almost smack dap in the middle of the state.

It's great to have you here!

How many chickens do you have?

I always thought of Fresno as about the dividing line though I do think of central valley as its own California too. We have Real Northern Ca which starts just north of the Bay Area Central Ca and Southern CA which has 2-3 distinct regions of its own.

At least thats how I view CA

It's great to have you here! How many chickens do you have?
I have one hen who just showed up in my backyard about 6 months ago. And now, thanks to a rooster who was passing through the neighborhood about a month ago, she now has 8 chicks! I joined this group because I haven't a clue what to do with chickens.

I have one hen who just showed up in my backyard about 6 months ago. And now, thanks to a rooster who was passing through the neighborhood about a month ago, she now has 8 chicks! I joined this group because I haven't a clue what to do with chickens.
Ask any questions you have.

(Cross posted this to the "Show off your roosters" thread)

Young cockerels at work, including two Sex Links the hatchery "accidentally" sent us. We just ran out of pullets so I've been having fun handling the boys the past few days. They're quite sweet, I only wish we could rehome all of them before the caponizer comes for them next week. The Brahmas and BSL in particular are incredibly docile. If anybody in NorCal has any interest in these lil dudes feel free to contact me, I'd love to see them to a good home.

(Cross posted this to the "Show off your roosters" thread)

Young cockerels at work, including two Sex Links the hatchery "accidentally" sent us. We just ran out of pullets so I've been having fun handling the boys the past few days. They're quite sweet, I only wish we could rehome all of them before the caponizer comes for them next week. The Brahmas and BSL in particular are incredibly docile. If anybody in NorCal has any interest in these lil dudes feel free to contact me, I'd love to see them to a good home.
Wait? What? You know some one who caponizes? Is this a service they provide?

I don't have any to do right now but would love to try some. I would also love to learn how if they give lessons.

Does anyone here raise yokohama? i lost two of them that two kids in 4H were going to use this year for fair and they are really upset so im looking for replacements since im the poultry leader

I live near fresno. I think of myself as central ca. I think of South Bakersfield southern and above Stockton north

Wait? What? You know some one who caponizes? Is this a service they provide? 

I don't have any to do right now but would love to try some. I would also love to learn how if they give lessons.

Yeah, a guy named Alex. I don't know much about him, but any cockerels who don't sell to a backyard home are taken by him at a bargain price. As I recall he caponizes them and raises them to sell at the Asian markets down in Sac. I think he gets something ridiculous like $60 a carcass for them.

I can actually caponize too, I just don't feel like taking all the cull roosters my boss gets, since it's usually 10+ birds a month. I'm also somewhat of a beginner, I've done about 15 birds so far but many of them have become slips. That said I'm about to begin a collaboration effory with a local woman and she has about 40 cockerels I'm planning on Caponizing this coming month, not to mention I plan on hatching out 100+ chicks from my own breeding projects this spring, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of practice and probably be quite a bit better at it after all is said and done.

Back
Top Bottom