California - Northern

Yeah, the flock raiser is the best. I mix it into the feed(along with oyster shells, scratch, crumbles, mash,pellets and chick starter.)
D.gif
Me too! I honestly like my FR. If I run out of duck food- FR is offered until I get more duck food. It's just so multi-purpose. Hard not to like!

Hi All!

Here is the Ultra Kibble Photo Shoot!

First weigh out the Organic Chicken Wheat. I use about 5.5 pounds.

Then add about 1/2 of a pound of Ultra Kibble.

Now I move to the kitchen and add Mega Omega booster and Organic Kelp granules, 1/3 of a cup of each

I mix that up and put it into the coop feeder. I also have a hanging feeder with Natural Non Soy Layer. Each morning I give them a couple of hand fulls of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and a half a cabbage or some Kale. On the days that I give them grass clippings, I do not give them the greens.

The Organic Chicken wheat is $14.something per 50 pounds. The 25 pounds of Ultra Kibble will last me a long time and I get it for around 27.00 plus 4.99 shipping from Ozbo.com.

The benefit of this is no Soy, no corn and animal protein from the Ultra Kibble. The guy that make ultra kibble says the winter wheat, free choice calcium and the Ultra kibble at a 15 to one ratio is a complete food for the chickens. I am not so trusting, so I give them the layer and free choice Calcium too. The kelp is great for them, but they wont eat unless I mix it into the feed. Picky chickens!

I hope this was Educational.

Ron

Hi All!

Here is the Ultra Kibble Photo Shoot!

First weigh out the Organic Chicken Wheat. I use about 5.5 pounds.

Then add about 1/2 of a pound of Ultra Kibble.

Now I move to the kitchen and add Mega Omega booster and Organic Kelp granules, 1/3 of a cup of each

I mix that up and put it into the coop feeder. I also have a hanging feeder with Natural Non Soy Layer. Each morning I give them a couple of hand fulls of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and a half a cabbage or some Kale. On the days that I give them grass clippings, I do not give them the greens.

The Organic Chicken wheat is $14.something per 50 pounds. The 25 pounds of Ultra Kibble will last me a long time and I get it for around 27.00 plus 4.99 shipping from Ozbo.com.

The benefit of this is no Soy, no corn and animal protein from the Ultra Kibble. The guy that make ultra kibble says the winter wheat, free choice calcium and the Ultra kibble at a 15 to one ratio is a complete food for the chickens. I am not so trusting, so I give them the layer and free choice Calcium too. The kelp is great for them, but they wont eat unless I mix it into the feed. Picky chickens!

I hope this was Educational.

Ron
This is very very helpful! What IS chicken wheat? Can I make chicken wheat myself from whole wheat berries?

I am pretty sure I cannot just find that (chicken wheat) locally. (Jeff have you found any place here in Redding that carries any of this stuff???)

I really would like to use less soy/corn products for my animals. I wonder if I could mix a grain (like the chicken wheat), the UK, some FR, flax seed for Omegas and free choice calcium? I would be nervous to not have some kind of feed too. LOL But now you can get King Feed so you are good right?

We have a local mill and I can get TONS of grains (whole or ground) in bulk from them. I have a grain grinder- so I can grind grain myself. Or set it to just crack grain (I set the coarse-ness). Your method really appeals to me! Seems much less scary than ditching some sort of feed altogether.

This is very very helpful! What IS chicken wheat? Can I make chicken wheat myself from whole wheat berries?

I am pretty sure I cannot just find that (chicken wheat) locally. (Jeff have you found any place here in Redding that carries any of this stuff???)

I really would like to use less soy/corn products for my animals. I wonder if I could mix a grain (like the chicken wheat), the UK, some FR, flax seed for Omegas and free choice calcium? I would be nervous to not have some kind of feed too. LOL But now you can get King Feed so you are good right?

We have a local mill and I can get TONS of grains (whole or ground) in bulk from them. I have a grain grinder- so I can grind grain myself. Or set it to just crack grain (I set the coarse-ness). Your method really appeals to me! Seems much less scary than ditching some sort of feed altogether.

This is what the online catalog says:

I buy the Chicken Wheat from Azure Standard. The trucks go down I-5, so there should be a drop near you. The kelp came from there too.

Here is information from their website:

Azure Logistics and You– It’s Simple!
Families, a group of neighbors, friends, a buying club, a retail outlet, or even just an individual can order and receive Azure products. All you have to do is:
1) Become a customer—takes less than 3 minutes and it’s FREE! or
*Click Here to sign up online, or call Azure Customer Service at (541) 467-2230 (Retail outlets must call)
2) Join a local drop point or develop one (if applicable).
  • Drop points, or drops, are pre-determined places on delivery routes where products are delivered, and each one has a unique number. For a truck to stop at a particular location, that drop must have a total minimum order of $550 (or more, depending on location), and each individual must have a minimum order of $50.
  • If there is not already a route with drops established in your area, we would love to get a route going to your community. In the event we are not yet ready to develop a route in your area, we will keep your contact information for future reference as we consider new routes.
  • To find the closest drop to you, or to establish your own, simply call our Customer Service Department. Let the representative know you are- or would like to become, a new customer and either want to find a drop point or would like to become one. He or she will guide you through the initial process.
  • If you live, work, or regularly travel through the Moro or Dufur areas in Oregon, you can also choose to “will call” your order, and pick up from those actual locations.
  • It is easy to become a customer online, but you will need to contact us directly to establish a new drop point.
  • If you wish to join an established drop point, you will be given the contact information for the local coordinator who will give you the drop point number, and tell you when and where to pick up your order.
  • Once you join a drop point and have a personal identification number, you are then an official customer.

It is easy to reach $50.00 ordering from them.

Ron

Edited to remove old images. RO

Last edited:
so sorry to read about the sick chickens! hope that the medicine is helping...

i let my almost-ten-weeks-old (mostly) gang out for a brief free-ranging excursion today, their first! the report is that all six came outdoors, but three went back into their run pretty soon after, and then couldn't seem to remember where the open door was -- just saw their friends outside through the wire mesh & kept trying to find a way through it! silly girls. the other three discovered that dust bathes are even better when the soil has recently been watered, nice and cool... all in all, a successful outing. photos:

the SPPRs were the first to venture forth:

the marans, free-range foraging!

happy chicklets under the oaks:

and back inside, but the marans are SO proud of themselves, they're the only ones who can fly enough yet to get onto this perch (one has also taken to flying onto my shoulder, hoping for personalized treat-sharing):

Great pics, Laura. It's so fun to watch them explore! I have one or two that occasionally get confused about getting in and out of the run, and they're over 4 months! Makes "bird brain" much more clear.
big_smile.png

so sorry to read about the sick chickens! hope that the medicine is helping...

i let my almost-ten-weeks-old (mostly) gang out for a brief free-ranging excursion today, their first! the report is that all six came outdoors, but three went back into their run pretty soon after, and then couldn't seem to remember where the open door was -- just saw their friends outside through the wire mesh & kept trying to find a way through it! silly girls. the other three discovered that dust bathes are even better when the soil has recently been watered, nice and cool... all in all, a successful outing. photos:

the SPPRs were the first to venture forth:

the marans, free-range foraging!

happy chicklets under the oaks:

and back inside, but the marans are SO proud of themselves, they're the only ones who can fly enough yet to get onto this perch (one has also taken to flying onto my shoulder, hoping for personalized treat-sharing):

Fantastic that one wants to perch on your shoulder! So sweet. Yay for free ranging- glad some of them liked it a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom