California-Southern

Pics
Quote:
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
I'm just up the 15 from ya in the high desert. Chickens only here though...no quail, except for the wild ones that occasionally visit the garden area.

Hello all!

I've been lurking on these boards for a while and gotten some very helpful information, so let me start by saying thanks!

I'm new to the chicken thing, but it's been pretty fun so far. No eggs yet, but I am hopeful it'll happen in a few weeks. (I've had them for 3 weeks now.)

I am smack in the middle of LA and have 3 pullets. I started with 5 month olds (bought from Namaste farms in Temecula), so I didn't have the pleasure of raising them from chicks because I was loathe to make another thing to raise them in. Maybe next year I'll start them as chicks.

I have a leghorn (who we call Foghorn), a RIR (Honey) and a Golden Wyandotte (Gee).

Other than that, I've got 3 dogs: 2 pugs and a pit bull. Dogs and chickens seem to get along fine, though I have yet to try leaving everyone unattended. I probably won't try that for a while, as Foghorn is quite skittish.

Honey and Gee are great and super friendly. Foghorn...well, I am hoping that she will come around. I bought mealworms based on the suggestions here, and they loved the mealworms so much I have started my own colony. Little creepy crawly at first, but it seems easy enough, and I am sure I will appreciate the savings in the long run.

Will be posting pics eventually.
smile.png

Ooooo, lots of action today -- I like that! I wish I could go to the SD meet, but I have a CRFG's meeting at 10 AM, and my grandson has a cross-country meet at 7:45 AM. At this point, I don't know how long the meet will go to, but that takes priority to the CRFG's meeting:). Maybe I will be able to go to another meeting of chicken lovers in the future.

LAFreeway ... good luck on your move to SD and finding a temp. home for your chickens.

NinjaKaren, funny names for your chickens! My 4 y.o. granddaughter named my six chickens with princess names, but their names keep changing, LOL! I have a Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, etc.

LadyMaran- we will be doing more SD meets, so don't worry
smile.png
There is already talk for December, I am going to suggest a once a month meeting too. Also some of us will not be coming til 12pm or so because of the distance so if you are up to it you could still come late.

I have a partridge and a splash silkie cockerel from Bobbi Porto eggs. They are free, I just want them to go to someone who will appreciate them.
Naomi

Thanks tigerrrrrrrlilly, I just got the schedule for my GS and it's definitely a no go to SD. BTW, I would be driving for over 2 1/2 hours or so mapquest says (I think it's longer). I will try to make a future trip when I have no other family plans and then can start out early enough to get there, and maybe even get in touch with others from here. You all have a wonderful time, which I know you will, and let us all know how it went.

Quote:
I had NO idea that I would spend as much time as I do just watching them! It really is quite fun to watch them--we call it chicken TV. My neighbors and I will go out, sit and watch for like an hour at a time. LOL!

Hey everyone! I'm in S. CA. Santa Fe Springs to be exact. Shhh... don't tell, but, I have 7 chickens now. 6 hens, 1 rooster. (I think all 6 are hens.... my roo was supposed to be a pullet too.)

When I called our city hall, they said, "No chickens." but when I asked them to show it to me in the by laws, they couldn't. He he... that is my 'reading between the lines.' All my neighbors know we have chickens now, and they don't care one bit. I think they are secretly hoping for eggs one day! LOL

I am also a Mama to 2 littles, Austin 2 years old, and Audrey 9.5 months old. My hubby is Mark whom I have known since I was 10 years old. "Who finds their soul mate when their 10 anyhow?" (name that movie, LOL)

I definitely do not run with the pack. I knit, crochet, spin yarn, dye yarn, sew a little, and now I have chickens. My DH (dear husband) jokes that I was born in the wrong century. LOL

I look forward to being part of this group of people!

NinjaKaren, yes, are chickens funny to watch and very relaxing! I bring my 4 y.o. GD to visit my chicks, and we sit and just look at them grazing in the yard. Of course, then my GD wants to "just pet them" over and over!

Kristina93, I have six pullets myself. Four of them should be of age to lay eggs in December, but by then it will be cold so they might not or very few.

Just wondering what everyone does about feed and water containers? I just hate to see all that feed wasted because the chicks climb on top of the container to scratch, and the dirty water. I'm thinking of getting those chicken nipples to add to a large plastic container/bottle for their water.

Back
Top Bottom