California Tan, Pullets or Cockerels???

Not sex link. Ended up with 2 roosters out of 8 "pullets". They looked exactly the same when they were chicks. These are now 12 weeks old.

Attachments

• 20210721_184748(0).jpg
    20210721_184748(0).jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 100
Thanks everyone You are all amazing.
I do have some thoughts on the California tan pullets.
1. They are my friendliest chickens. Don't mind being handled and petted.
2. They can get to places I didn't think possible.
3. I don't believe the hoovers person who said its a cross with a production red and leghorn. The birds are just too white, not even a hint of red feathering. I would think 1/8 production red tops, but mostly leghorn and then California grey and California white.
Some are definitely redder than others.

Attachments

• 20210715_173520.jpg
    20210715_173520.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 98
Not sex link. Ended up with 2 roosters out of 8 "pullets". They looked exactly the same when they were chicks. These are now 12 weeks old.
Mine are now also 12 weeks old. they look exactly like yours in the photo. The one I was worried about, grew the big comb and wattles and walks upright, and is getting aggressive with the other 2 confirmed roosters I have left. I was reading on one of the hatchery sites, that the sex link is only 95% accurate, but with our experiences, looks as if 25% of the california tan pullets are actually cockerels.

The chicks look like California whites, so I was wondering if some of those may have gotten mixed in. I went to a friends house and all his laying hens (ISA Brown) had large combs and wattles, so i stopped worrying.

This guy is way too light to eat, Too much trouble for the amount of meat. And it brings the total to 7 of the original 22 cockerels. The Saphire Gems were also supposed to be sex linked but were not too. I still have 2 EE X ISA brown chicks (9 weeks) from hatched eggs I don't know. I'm 95% sure they are Pullets, but maybe the mostly black one is a cockerel. They are odd looking, really big bodies nd small heads.

Anyway, my friends black EE rooster just over a year old, passed away on the really hot day last month, so I am trying to talk him into taking one of my Roosters. Now I can add the CA Tan to the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom