CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Wow, it looks more OCD than I thought once I typed out the list...
WOW!
ep.gif
you have a LOT of different breeds! That is great! I am so envious and tempted by several of them!

OK I'm caught up unless I've missed someone else or someone got axed. LOL

Also any shows or meetups or whatever...that you guys need me to add, let me know. And I need feedstore info for all the areas, so if you guys have a place, let me know the information and area. I'm horrible about state areas. Been here almost my whole life, but the Bay was my stomping grounds. I'm lost even in Modesto! LOL

Quote: Yes, I actually have a couple of new breeds coming to join my flock soon, but I thought I wouldn't even mention them yet.

Lately my mantra has been, "No new breeds, no new breeds!"

This all started because I wanted a few feed store chicks for eggs. They weren't here a month before I said, "I need show chickens!". My son showed poultry in 4H (about 15+ years ago) and I forgot how much I enjoyed having them. Then they became like potato chips, it's difficult to find breeds I don't like or don't think they have redeeming value, need help with their declining numbers or need a champion to get out just how amazing they are (like the Lakenvelders).

And my DH doesn't help, everytime I show him a picture of a new chicken, he says "I think you should get some". I think our addiction feeds each other. I've always said I hope one of us doesn't say "Let's get a pet wolverine", the other would say, "Let's get two".

Deb

I don't have all Jersey Giants. In fact... I only have 3 JG's.

List of breeds:
Black Ameraucana (Yes, a TRUE Ameraucana)
Bantam Quail and Blue Belgian Bearded D'anver
Bantam Dark Cornish
Bantam Black Cochin
Red Dorking
Black Minorca
Black Jersey Giant
Bantam Black Tailed White Japanese
Buff Orpington
Bantam BBR Old English Game
Light Brown Leghorns

About half of them are not SQ. (I don't breed so don't put me on the breeding list!)

Most are former Showmanship chickens. (Japanese, OEG, Cornish, D'anver, Cochin). My Jersey Giant cockerel was the only one to hatch- so we had to get him a couple feed store BO buddies.

Not many compared to Deb.
lol.png

Not many compared to Deb.
lol.png

I should be held up as an example of what NOT to do!

I also have one black Jersey Giant pullet. She's from a show flock and was mixed in with a batch of Lakenvelder chicks that I bought. I knew her coloring looked a bit off from the group (similar), but couldn't tell what I had until she got her adult feathers. I have a few singletons I didn't mention, since I'm not really raising them. Like a blue Ameraucana pullet (only one that hatched in some swap eggs). She was from an exhibition line, but since I have Araucana already and only got the one, she lives with my Marans to make OE chicks.

Chickens..................amazing variety of form and color!

Deb

I should be held up as an example of what NOT to do!

I also have one black Jersey Giant pullet. She's from a show flock and was mixed in with a batch of Lakenvelder chicks that I bought. I knew her coloring looked a bit off from the group (similar), but couldn't tell what I had until she got her adult feathers. I have a few singletons I didn't mention, since I'm not really raising them. Like a blue Ameraucana pullet (only one that hatched in some swap eggs). She was from an exhibition line, but since I have Araucana already and only got the one, she lives with my Marans to make OE chicks.

Chickens..................amazing variety of form and color!

Deb
lol you do have alot of variety...

My last hatch went a few days, but 100%. Next one is due tuesday and from what I can see, one is out and at least one more pipped. Wish I could see what's out. Looks like a Mottled Jap is pipped. Wish I wasn't so blind!

Back
Top Bottom