CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Quote: The neighbors growing up had an 8N Ford. We had an International. Both were ancient in the 1960s but were work horses! One time we were getting gravel from a creek and we stuck the truck! (1940s GMC) I jogged home, grabbed a chain and jumped on the tractor. The tractor pulled the truck right out.

I have seen people pull themselves out of holes by using the hydraulic blade or scoop too!

Good job Sunny, post a picture when your hatch is finished!

Deb
Will do. I'm just waiting on a couple to finish drying. We have 8 babies now!!!
big_smile.png

The neighbors growing up had an 8N Ford. We had an International. Both were ancient in the 1960s but were work horses! One time we were getting gravel from a creek and we stuck the truck! (1940s GMC) I jogged home, grabbed a chain and jumped on the tractor. The tractor pulled the truck right out.

I have seen people pull themselves out of holes by using the hydraulic blade or scoop too!
I can picture that. Those Internationals were great! We don't have a blade or a scoop... yet. hehe Not sure DH knows what he's gotten himself into by buying me a tractor. I may not be a shoe hound but tractor attachments, now THAT I could get carried away with.
tongue.png

That's a great hatch out of 10 eggs. I've read that Marans can be tough, although so far I haven't had any trouble with them.

Maybe you can get BB at the Reno show next year.
big_smile.png

Deb
Yeah I'm very excited to get such a great hatch! I'm happy when I get a 50% hatch with marans cause they are so hard to hatch. :)

Haha I've never shown but since these babies come from winning show stock I may just have to change my mind.

Quote: Shipping eggs causes the eggs to be stressed. There has to be enough vigor in the breed to re-assemble itself. If a strain or sometimes an entire breed has lost vigor(often from inbreeding) the chick does not develop correctly. What you have with the Marans and Pennes and others that have the sticky goo on them is a failure to absorb the yolk sack. Then they do not have enough vigor to get out of the egg. If they pip in just the wrong spot, the yellow gluey stuff seals them in. Locally picked up hatching eggs are a lot better.

I can tell you that the Penne x Cream Legbar chicks from Juststruttin(Thank you Deanne) have a lot of vigor! They hatch like EEs even when shipped!

Now don't go beating me with my own stock!
wink.png

Deb
Lol! Then quit suggesting I start showing them!
tongue.png
Seriously, I'm still so nervous about the spread of disease that I doubt I'll start showing any time soon.

I think it is the thick eggs. penedesenca are the same way.
Shipping eggs causes the eggs to be stressed. There has to be enough vigor in the breed to re-assemble itself. If a strain or sometimes an entire breed has lost vigor(often from inbreeding) the chick does not develop correctly. What you have with the Marans and Pennes and others that have the sticky goo on them is a failure to absorb the yolk sack. Then they do not have enough vigor to get out of the egg. If they pip in just the wrong spot, the yellow gluey stuff seals them in. Locally picked up hatching eggs are a lot better.
It can be any of these issues plus several others. Marans overall do seem harder to hatch so eggshell thickness and other factors do come into play with these breeds. Deb brought these eggs to me herself and the cool weather helped us to avoid temp extremes in transit. The nice thing about these thick shells is the low porosity. These eggs stay fresh longer than other eggs and because of this I don't stress so much about candling the marans eggs. I didn't worry about these at all, other than doing a sniff test every few days. Actually I've never had a marans egg go bad on me and I've hatched a lot of marans!

OK enough shop talk. Time for pics!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom