CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

Yeah at 8 weeks that's pretty rooish. So did you get closer to this one than the other? I fall in love with my roos, even as babies and even if I know from the beginning that they are boys. My roosters are usually my friendliest birds and the hens just tolerate me since I provide food. I can't even get good pics of my birds, because they see me whip out my phone and run.

Thank you. They're approx 8 weeks. Guess now I'll start studying up on Roosters. I'm embarrassingly uneducated on how fertilization works: I don't want mixed breed birds, is that even possible?
Yes, any chicken can breed with any chicken (well, if there is an appropriate size difference between them).

For the most part, species of birds can't just interbreed. In the few that can, they'd produce a "mule", sterile mix.

Yes, any chicken can breed with any chicken (well, if there is an appropriate size difference between them).

For the most part, species of birds can't just interbreed. In the few that can, they'd produce a "mule", sterile mix.
I have a BTB Jap roo, Lowrider, who has tried to breed with my Marans hens. They toss him off and chase him off. He's so tiny, there's no way he would have any chance with those girls. But I can breed bantam to LF depending on size.

If you want to breed, you'll have to set up breeding pens. I have a pen/coop area for each breed. Matter of fact I'm still working on them to put move more breeds. I seem to find another breed or 2 every year and have to build something else. I need more room or more will power. I'm going for more room.

Ok. This is all blowing my mind...it's when I thought Chickens were great because they're uncomplicated...lol. Here's a better pic of the two RIR's.

And just for fun, the flock sleeping with our 3 month old pig Wilbur.

Absolutely that is a pair of RIR and absolutely he would breed successfully with a barred. Actually that would give you sex linked chicks. The chicks would be black and boy chicks would have a white dot on their head. Boys will feather out barred and girls will be black with some red feathering around their neck. Frequently called something like Black Stars. They are good egg producers, the second generation would not be sex-linked (or sexable at hatch).

Cute pig!

Last edited:
awww Love the pic with Wilber.

Deb I wasn't even thinking sexlinks, but glad you posted that.

I need all these chicks to grow up. Not because of any reason other than I'm going through over 100 pounds of starter every 3 weeks. These guys eat like bottomless pits.

Wow, and I was just complaining about our chicken feed consumption; which is nothing close to yours!

I've started a compost pile not far from the coop. I'm feeding the chicken by it 2 x daily. They are learning to forage in the compost and I think it's cutting down my feed bill. I know I have less birds than ya'll, but I do have a pig that eats there too.

Wow, and I was just complaining about our chicken feed consumption; which is nothing close to yours!

I've started a compost pile not far from the coop. I'm feeding the chicken by it 2 x daily. They are learning to forage in the compost and I think it's cutting down my feed bill. I know I have less birds than ya'll, but I do have a pig that eats there too.
These are all chicks between 4 or 5 days and maybe 3 months?? I forget. They go through so much starter it's crazy. The bigger birds go through a lot too, but they also get to free range and can find all kinds if icky things to devour. I'll be complaining later when they're grown too. Most of these are staying her to join my flocks. And I still have pens to add to, just gotta get the eggs to hatch.

Ok. This is all blowing my mind...it's when I thought Chickens were great because they're uncomplicated...lol. Here's a better pic of the two RIR's.

And just for fun, the flock sleeping with our 3 month old pig Wilbur.
welcome-byc.gif
Cute pic of your chooks and their piggie! My breeding flock is at my friend's 10 acre ranch. One of the black Langshan boys was picked on by the other roos so he has moved into the pig pen and is friends with their large sow. He was right there supervising when she gave birth to her piglets last week. I wish that I had been there to get some pics of of them!

Back
Top Bottom