CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread

And just for fun, the flock sleeping with our 3 month old pig Wilbur.

That's adorable. What breed is Wilbur? I love pigs and have Guinea Hogs.

One of the black Langshan boys was picked on by the other roos so he has moved into the pig pen and is friends with their large sow. He was right there supervising when she gave birth to her piglets last week.

You have to be careful with pigs and chickens because sometimes the pigs will eat them. I would especially be wary of a sow, who may be protective and/or ravenous from giving birth or nursing a litter.

You have to be careful with pigs and chickens because sometimes the pigs will eat them. I would especially be wary of a sow, who may be protective and/or ravenous from giving birth or nursing a litter.
Thanks for the words of warning. He's a big boy that is slated for the dinner table. They have been living together for at least the past 2 months with no problems. He kept coming back to her so my friend just left him there. Hopefully, there won't be any problems. My friend and her kids are in there handling the piglets and bottle feeding the smallest ones. The sow must be a mild mannered one.

Edited to add that I have a healthy respect for sows with piglets. I was chased a few times by sows while growing up in Iowa!
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes, I have an eye on Wilbur for any signs of irritation or aggression. I don't want him to develop a taste for chicken. His genetics are a mystery. He was a rescue, but he "looks" like a mini painted pig or a Juliana pig.

Learn something new every day. I ddnt know pigs would eat chickens, and I didt know chicken feed would kill goats! Can you tell I'm an urban girl?

Learn something new every day. I ddnt know pigs would eat chickens, and I didt know chicken feed would kill goats! Can you tell I'm an urban girl?

Pigs are like chickens, they are omnivores to the core. I always tell DH, if you fall down in one of the chicken runs, you better plan to get up soon. It would be difficult for me to explain the picked clean bones. Chickens could make the burial/cremation topic moot. Pigs could make it all moot.

sickbyc.gif

But don't get me wrong, I LOVE pigs. When my son raised hogs in 4H, I loved to feed his pigs handfuls of raisins. They get so excited. And go out with watermelon rind, they are your friend for life.

My sow is so docile and friendly that she enjoys people handling her babies. This breed has been bred to have good temperaments. Mine have never eaten live chickens, but I know sometimes that can happen. I do feed them dead ones, like if they die from the heat. I like feeding them (killed) roosters who have become mean. PAYBACK!

I have a backup of eggs and I can't set them. Anyone looking for a lot of cheapies?? Gotta be able to pick then up though and I'm in Modesto. These eggs are about a week old and less, so pricing them as such. Mostly purebreds and there's probably 3 or 4 from the lav egg project total, so yeah, purebreds. I have cheap flats of different breeds, so pm if you're looking for eggs to play with.

I have a backup of eggs and I can't set them. Anyone looking for a lot of cheapies?? Gotta be able to pick then up though and I'm in Modesto. These eggs are about a week old and less, so pricing them as such. Mostly purebreds and there's probably 3 or 4 from the lav egg project total, so yeah, purebreds. I have cheap flats of different breeds, so pm if you're looking for eggs to play with.

gah, why couldn't you be closer, or why couldn't I be closer to you! Either way I think its too hot right now for chicks, I try not to hatch any in the summer. I have 2 right now but they are for the goslings to have friends and I'm bringing them all inside for the next week or so until the 110+ temps are gone. Heres a pic of the goslings from last week, they're growing really fast, I think I might want to keep one instead of eating both for christmas but i'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

My sow is so docile and friendly that she enjoys people handling her babies. This breed has been bred to have good temperaments. Mine have never eaten live chickens, but I know sometimes that can happen. I do feed them dead ones, like if they die from the heat. I like feeding them (killed) roosters who have become mean. PAYBACK!
Lolol Remind me not to get on your bad side.

Back
Top Bottom