California Valley Quail Incubation

ShellXD

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Hi there,

I have placed my order for a dozen fertile California Quail eggs and they will be ready and sent to me in roughly a weeks time. I would like some advice on the incubation temperature, humidity and length of incubation for this type of quails eggs.

I have done some searching and came up short with results. The results that I have found seem to vary.

The results I trust the most are on the following website: http://game-birds.com/valley.html

which states that: Incubation period is 22 to 23 days at 99.5° and 60 to 65% Humidity, stop turning on the 20th day and raise humidity to 80 to 85%

Please provide me with information on weather this is correct or not if you have previously incubated California quails.

Thank you, Michelle Banks.

Hi there,

I have placed my order for a dozen fertile California Quail eggs and they will be ready and sent to me in roughly a weeks time. I would like some advice on the incubation temperature, humidity and length of incubation for this type of quails eggs.

I have done some searching and came up short with results. The results that I have found seem to vary.

The results I trust the most are on the following website: http://game-birds.com/valley.html

which states that: Incubation period is 22 to 23 days at 99.5° and 60 to 65% Humidity, stop turning on the 20th day and raise humidity to 80 to 85%

80% is a wet bulb number. You'll need to decide if you are going to incubate with a wet bulb thermometer or use a hygrometer (humidity meter). If you are using a hygrometer do not let humidity pass 75% or you will kill the embryos.

Run humidity 50-60% during incubation on day 20 raise humidity to 65-75% do not let humidity pass 75%. Temp should be 99.5. They should hatch on day 22-24.

Please provide me with information on weather this is correct or not if you have previously incubated California quails.

Thank you, Michelle Banks.
Edit to add: what concerns me on the website you linked is that they don't bother to mention that the humidity number they give is wet bulb. Most people don't use that method they use a hygrometer and if you just directly used their incubation numbers with a hygrometer it would be a huge waste of eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom