California White Roo x Barred Rock Hens

Chicken Cryptid

Chirping
Mar 22, 2020
I have a neighbor who took our rooster and two of our barred rock hens. She hatched a batch of them and set another batch on July 1st. Unfortunately the roosters was killed, either in a dog fight or raccoon fight. She’s giving us a batch of 14 eggs. I’m not sure if she staggered them or if she put them in all at once. I’m going to be updating this thread if they start developing. Has anyone done a cross like this? And if they hatch, what are my expectations for egg laying and appearance?

I have a neighbor who took our rooster and two of our barred rock hens. She hatched a batch of them and set another batch on July 1st. Unfortunately the roosters was killed, either in a dog fight or raccoon fight. She’s giving us a batch of 14 eggs. I’m not sure if she staggered them or if she put them in all at once. I’m going to be updating this thread if they start developing. Has anyone done a cross like this? And if they hatch, what are my expectations for egg laying and appearance?
Sorry about your roo. I'm guessing mostly barred? But I'm no expert. @NatJ ?

California Rooster Sire was a California Grey male(E/E, B/B, I+/I+) the dame was a White Leghorn(E/E, I/I and b+/- but many lines of White Leghorns carry sex linked barring) so the rooster is E/E, I/I+ B/b+ so when crossed with Barred Rock hens which are E/E, I+/I+, B/- the progeny will be: Chick down: 50% All White with some black dots, and 50% Black with cream underbelly if some of them don't have a white head spot those are pullets(and confirms that the rooster is B/b+) but if all of your black chicks get a white head spot then the sire is B/B

Most of the eggs have started developing, 3 of the eggs come from Silkie-mixes, so I’m excited to see what comes from them! I’ve never owned a Silkie before but they look so nice, I hope these babies grow and come out healthy! So far two of the Silkie eggs are still viable. I’m keeping the other one in for a little while longer just to give it more of a chance!
611130A3-922B-48EB-B103-615FC7166BA1.jpeg
9EDE35CF-751E-4FC5-AAE8-01BD22777744.jpeg
0DA2CC99-E449-4A1F-A511-9E326B5D3B17.jpeg

Most of the eggs have started developing, 3 of the eggs come from Silkie-mixes, so I’m excited to see what comes from them! I’ve never owned a Silkie before but they look so nice, I hope these babies grow and come out healthy! So far two of the Silkie eggs are still viable. I’m keeping the other one in for a little while longer just to give it more of a chance!
View attachment 2238830View attachment 2238831View attachment 2238833
They look good! Silkie mixes are awesome. What day are yours on?

They look good! Silkie mixes are awesome. What day are yours on?
They should be on Day 10! I’m starting to get addicted to incubating XD I hatched some duck eggs this spring and I thought I’d have to wait until next year to be able to do it again!!!

They should be on Day 10! I’m starting to get addicted to incubating XD I hatched some duck eggs this spring and I thought I’d have to wait until next year to be able to do it again!!!
That's so cool! Incubating is addicting. I love it though!

Back
Top Bottom