Californian Meat Rabbit Grow-Out Thread... **Picture Heavy**

A note for those in Calif selling rabbits to 4H kids. The 4H kids in Calif really need to have pedigreed purebreed rabbits. Most of the County Fairs and the Calif State Fair use judges from American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA). So the rabbits have to meet the requirements for purebreed rabbits or will be disqualified (DQ) from the rabbit show. I've seen the look on the faces of youth who have worked to get their rabbit in condition for the show only to learn their rabbit is too big, too small, has wrong color eyes, toenails, etc., and is DQed. They are not happy and I'm not happy when I see it.

The 4Hers are depending on breeders to be knowledgeable so do your homework and study up on what it takes to produce a showbunny.

Have a good day!

If they are DQing rabbits because they don't meet breed standards at your fairs it needs to be in the rule books so people are aware of it. Around here the main class is the meat class so everyone breeds to get the best meat rabbits. Most are crossbreeds so we don't really have those problems.

Did this thread get moved? I thought it was under "meat chickens".

I have the 10wk weights on my litter of 5 and the 6wk weights on my litter of 9.

10wk weights are.

4.82, 4.14, 4.25, 4.37, 5.31 = 22.89lbs with the only doe being the largest

The 6wk weights are

1.85, 2.06, 1.87, 2.02, 1.96, 1.90, 2.03, 1.92, 2.20 = 17.81lbs

The weights of the second, larger litter are still under the weights of the smaller litter but not by much. We'll see if they catch up more on the next weigh in.

Last edited:
Yeah I think they are moving all the meat rabbit threads from the meat chickens section into the other pets and livestock.
smile.png

Wow, interesting thread, was going to jump back into meat rabbits last summer, but then changed my mind, I hope to one day have some sort of shed with heat, AC, lights, electricity, etc. Only then will I really get them again.

Quote:
Hi Terri, what are you feeding the babies and how much? They're huge compared to my bunnies. Mine are 8wks and half that size....

Sorry y'all. I've running around with kid stuff and haven't had a chance to get online.

I've been feeding the 50lb bags of Hi Pro rabbit pellets that the local feed store carries. I use a large cup to fill their self feeder every morning, it weighs out to about 25 oz a day between the 5 of them and its gone by the next morning. They also get a tsp of oats and a tsp of calf mana a day fed seperately so I know they each get theirs. The kids are also "sneaking" them some alfalfa and extra oats when they think I'm not looking. They have gone through quite a few pinecones too. They love to play with them and chew on them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom