Californian Meat Rabbit Grow-Out Thread... **Picture Heavy**

Quote:
I take the nest box out at 2wks also.This time around they wouldn't stay in it anyway. What are your crosses?

my crosses are Am. Chin. X NZ and Calif. X NZ.........bucks are always listed first, does last, when i speak of my crosses. the AM Chin cross is a great success. the Calif are experiemental. i do like the white offspring outa the calf. cross where as the first generation of the AM chin cross throws alot of color. which isnt desirable.

I always leave the nestboxes in with the does, look at the pic, the doe next to her without kits has a nest box. I've found that they REALLY love them and sleep in them all the time. (I have one doe that actually almost never comes out, she just LOVES her box)... Plus since they are all outside it helps give them some protection from the elements. It's been down to 31*F every night this week and only up to the low 50's during the day, plus bad rain and wind... the weather's not usually this nasty here. Beside I don't see any advantage to taking them out, nor any disadvantage to leaving them in.
idunno.gif

Yes I do take them out and clean them and spray them with bleach water and sun dry. All of mine does do NOT use them to potty in, except one, so what I do is just leave the bottom off (they have removable bottoms) and THEN stuff it with hay, so they have hay all around them and under them IN the nestbox but there is no bottom so if they DO potty it just goes right through. Once or twice a week I refill on fresh hay.
smile.png

I think it was just milk or allergies or something, I went back out and checked on everyone a whole bunch of times and they all seem fine. WHEW!

Today is their 4 week birthday!!!
big_smile.png
love.gif

Weights;
1 pound 3 oz (19oz)
1 pound 6 oz (22oz)
1 pound 6 oz (22oz)
1 pound 6 oz (22oz)
1 pound 4 oz (20oz)
1 pound 4 oz (20oz)

Pics;
SAM_1153.jpg

SAM_1135.jpg

SAM_1152.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad your babies ok. I hate when they look off or sick.

I weighed my babies today, didn't have time yesterday. They are copying momma and using the litterbox now too.

The weights are
1lb 6.4oz or 22.4oz
1lb 4.3oz or 20.3oz
1lb 4.2oz or 20.6oz
1lb 4.2oz or 19.2oz
1lb 6.7oz or 22.7oz

This one has moved out of the nest box unless it gets really cold out. Maybe the feeder is more comfortable?

25730_mms_picture1_3.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom