Caliope has gone all clucky .

Tezza

Hatching
5 Years
One of my 2 girls has gone all clucky and wont leave the nest.Would it be okay if I got a 1 day old chick and gave it to her or would this cause other problems. Any advice would be greatly apreciated by me and a frustrated Caliope. TEZZA.

Congrats on the broody! You could certainly try giving her a day old chick. It'd be best to wait until it's getting close to when if she was sitting on an egg it would hatch - maybe two or three weeks into the brooding. They can't really tell time, but if you stick a chick under them when they've only been broody for a day or two, some seem to know it's not possible they hatched it and won't take it.

Next, it's best to do it at night. Swap the chick for the egg she's on and she'll think her egg hatched at night while she was asleep.

There are some possible issues though. For one, she might not accept the chick, and in that case you need to be prepared to brood it yourself. For this reason you might want to get at least two chicks since it's no fun to brood a single chick. Another possibility is that she might outright kill it, so you should prepare yourself for that.

You could also try getting a fertile egg or two and let her brood and hatch that instead of getting a day old chick.

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Pyxis has given you some very good advice. Good luck with the integration of a day old chick or two. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Pyxis has outlined several ideas and possible outcomes. I like the idea of getting her some fertile eggs. Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may also want to post on "Australia, six states and one funny little island."

Howdy Tezza

You already have been given great advice by Pyxis and without being a downer, I just wanted to add that if you give your gal fertile eggs, there is the risk of one or more of them turning out to be roosters. If you are not allowed to have a rooster, some thought into what you might plan to do with them is an idea.

The same with a chick or chicks, unless they are of a breed easily sexed, you may be giving her a little rooster.

As I said, not trying to be a downer, but sometimes it is something that is not considered.

Whichever way you decide to go, I am sure you and your boody will love having little one(s) to raise and wish you the best with her and them.

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom