Calisum for hens

mommiesrcool

Free Ranging
Jul 6, 2020
Dn
so i HAD a hen who didn't like oyster shells what so ever and i have calcium pills which i can crush up but i also bought the oyster shells for laying hens but my question is if i should leave out the oysters shells or mix in crushed up calcium pills in their food out for my pullets once they turn 18 weeks old. I'm just worried that my pullets wont like the oyster shells because they are VERY picky

What are you feeding them? They tend to only eat oyster shell if they need it.
well my chicks are only 9 weeks old but they don't get the oyster shells because they are not 18 weeks old yet but right know my chicks are eating Purina Chick Starter And Grower 18% but once they turn 18 weeks old they will be eating Purina Layena Pellets Premium Layer Feed

It is widely recommended here that you keep your chickens on "all flock" or grower throughout their lives, offering oyster shell as a supplement in a separate container. The higher protein is good for them and the formula is the same except the layer feed has calcium added. Once I learned about this I used up all the layer feed I had and have them on Purina Flock Grower since. My girls eat oyster shell when they want as it is always available.

It is widely recommended here that you keep your chickens on "all flock" or grower throughout their lives, offering oyster shell as a supplement in a separate container. The higher protein is good for them and the formula is the same except the layer feed has calcium added. Once I learned about this I used up all the layer feed I had and have them on Purina Flock Grower since. My girls eat oyster shell when they want as it is always available.
the chicks are going to be on the chick starter and grower until they turn 18 weeks and then they will be switched over to the layer feed

the chicks are going to be on the chick starter and grower until they turn 18 weeks and then they will be switched over to the layer feed
Don't give them layer feed util they are all actually laying.

It is widely recommended here that you keep your chickens on "all flock" or grower throughout their lives, offering oyster shell as a supplement in a separate container. The higher protein is good for them and the formula is the same except the layer feed has calcium added. Once I learned about this I used up all the layer feed I had and have them on Purina Flock Grower Raiser since. My girls eat oyster shell when they want as it is always available.
I second this^^^ recommendation(with feed name corrected).
I've never fed anything but Flock Raiser with Oyster shells, sometimes mixed with egg shells, in a separate feeder.
full

Don't give them layer feed util they are all actually laying.

I second this^^^ recommendation(with feed name corrected).
I've never fed anything but Flock Raiser with Oyster shells, sometimes mixed with egg shells, in a separate feeder.
full
I have oyster shells that i bought for them already but they will be on chick feed until laying like you said

Back
Top Bottom