CALL 911 -- MY DOG IS A KILLER

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Crazy4Chicks, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I am so mad at my male boxer Wally !!!

The past few days there has been a very skinny, ratty furred, sickly cat hanging around - this poor thing looks on its death bed - I did not want him dieing under the house or near the animals ( just in case of illness or something ) so I have been trying to get him - so I could take him to the shelter where they could put him down peacefully.

Well Wally got to him before I could- he jumped the fence and killed the poor thing, in the process he also killed that part of the fence ( DH is going to kill Wally when he gets home ). I know if this cat were healthy - he would have not been so easy for wally to get, so I know the poor thing was dieing, but to go out that way is awful !

I now have Wally on a chain in the yard, but he is determined to see if that cat is still there ( its not I put on gloves and placed him in a bag - so DH could take him to the shelter tonight - where they can dispose of the poor thing )

I know its the old " Cat against Dog thing " that has been happening for years and years, but I have never seen him kill anything before - when I got to him he had the poor cat by the neck.

Rotten dog !!

Julie

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    It's hard to see your baby behaving like an animal. I know that my Irish Setter Liam would kill the neighborhood cats if he had a chance. We have a cat that he doesn't touch, but he grew up with him. I can tell by Liams reaction when a strange cat walks by, that he would do it harm for sure. I sympathize but it is unfortunately the way animals are.

Your dog probably did it quickly and the cat is no longer suffering. I don't know if that makes you feel better or not, I hope it does [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I am sure the poor thing is no longer in what ever pain it was - I did notice that it was pretty thin and nasty looking when I picked it up and it did smell awful - so I guess Wally did a mercy killing ?

I am still not giving him any treats tonight LOL

DH is going to explode when he sees what is left of the fencing LOL ( thank god we are putting up a wooden fence this spring/summer )

Julie

4. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I just went through that with our mutt. He is unfortunately on a cable now. We put in an underground electric fence and he would take the shock to chase the neighbor's 1,001 cats but be afraid to come back over. Now they wander all over our property just out of his range but I guess one got too close last week because I found it dead near his enclosure. I did feel bad about it. I like cats and would have one but my husband is allergic and I really don't enjoy having all the hard work I put into my flowerbeds & garden turned into a litterbox. [​IMG]

5. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    My black lab, Hunter, will kill any other dog that enters his property. He does not wonder around killing things, only trespassers. It goes back to him getting attacked by pit bulls that came through our fence to get him. :eek:

6. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I do feel bad for the poor cat, but since it was very sickly and from the looks ( and smell ) would have most likely died soon - so maybe Wally just kinda help end its suffering?
    The wierd thing is there are cats all over the place here - he has never once tried to get any of them- there is a rather large black-n-white one that hangs out with the chickens alot and Wally has never once jumped the fence after him, but this poor sick cat stood no chance against him.
    I cant have cats ( allergies ) but I dont want to see them hurt either. So we are putting a wooden fence and are going to run a hotwire around it - to keep Mr. Cat killer in the yard.

I cant stay mad at him, he is just a big loveable goof ball

Julie

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I bet it was the scent of the cat that made him decide to go for it.

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I'm so sorry, I hate it when our dog acts like an animal.

On the other hand, have you considered taking the cat to the vet to have it checked for anything your dog might have caught in the attack? Sometimes it's very difficult to tell if a cat is very very old and ready to die or actually sick with a virus or something it could give to your dog. I hope your dog will be ok.

9. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well DH took the cat to the animal shelter - and it is the policy to run test on animals that are found dead - to see what the animal died from - and they will run a test on the cat to see why it was so sickly to begin with - because by the look of him - he was going to die and the shelter wants to make sure that it is not from anytihng that can spread to other animals in the " local " area of the cat, but seeing how it was a stray - there is no telling what the local area is???
    but either way I will hear something from them in a few days or so - Wally is up to date on his shots - so are the rest of the dogs, so we should be fine.

Julie

p.s. DH WAS NOT HAPPY about the poor fence Wally " killed " in the process - he is said that the new fence money is coming out of Wally's allownce (sp sorry )

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Poor kitty - he must have suffered terribly for a while leading up to Wally getting him. These stories are so sad - I wish someone had seen and been able to help him sooner....It was good that you had wanted to catch him and bring him in so his suffering wouldn't be prolonged if he was terminally ill.
    So many heartwrenching situations out there.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by