Call duck Behavior

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sweetshoplady, Apr 28, 2009.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I got some calls and have them on my screened in porch. Where the swimming pool is. Four of them love the pool. They stay there all the time. I have those circle things to heat the water that are like little islands and they can sit on those, walk around on them, take a nap on them. They only get out to eat.

THe other pair, seem to act more "normal" like the other ducks I have. They hang out on the porch and get in the water for a swim, then get OUT.

Are they both "normal?" As soon as I get an official pen, I'll put them in it. But I like having them in the pool, It's fun watching them swim and play.

2. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    By no means am I a call duck authority, but I did have several pair and my female snowy would stay in her pool all day. She just loved it! The male was a short timer. LOL.

But, the other, younger calls took baths and short swims, but didn't live in the water like that one female. So, my guess is that it's a personality thing. LOL.

I bet it IS fun to watch them. I loved to watch Juanita in her pool. It seemed to give her so much pleasure.

Last year I had a raccoon massacre my entire pen of ducks in one night and I lost all my calls and silky ducks.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    So Sorry for you Loss! Been there except it was the neighbor's dog instead of a coon.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I've also got a mixed bag of duck personalities - my drake would live int he water if he could (except for following the girl duck [​IMG] ) the girl duck could care less about the pools - she likes to get ina dn swim a little, and clean herself, then she spends most of her time out of the pool.

I had another female (who got taken by a hawk) who loved the pool, also.

I have 8 babies, now, three of whom are almost ready to go out - not sure how they'll like the pools.

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by