Call duck color "calculator"?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckluck, Dec 28, 2009.

1. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I saw that someone had posted a color calculator for chickens on another thread...does anyone know if such a thing exists for call ducks? In asking around about self-blacks, I came to find out that if I crossed my black drake on a chocolate hen, I would get blacks and chocolates, but what about if I crossed him on grays or whites?

2. aerosmith_99

aerosmith_99 Out Of The Brooder

I believe if you cross a black duck with a white duck you will get a black bibbed duck. I am not sure what would happen with a gray and a black cross. Hope this helps.

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Maybe that explains why so many people have the bibbeds for sale but not self-blacks...[​IMG]

4. jazzyfizzle

jazzyfizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Northern Ohio
    Ahh yes! If you ever happen to come across a chart like this, I would dearly love to see it. I am finding it (so far) difficult to learn the color crosses.

Thanks!

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I am very, very new to duck colors, so I may have this totally wrong, but I think I've heard that bibbed is a sort of spotting gene. If that is so, then the only way self black x white could result in bibbed, is if the white were carrying the gene for bibbed. The problem with white, is that you can't know what other genes they may be carrying, just looking at them. Gray, I'm told, is dominant, so the only way black x gray will result in anything other than gray, is if the gray is carrying a self gene, and/or both ducks are carrying dilution genes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by