Call Duck Eggs: Artifical Versus Natural Incubation

Quote:
You explained this so much better then I did. This is basically what I do. I make sure the yolk is absorbed and feel they are prepared to enter the world. If you try to rush them, they will not make it.

Took the first Calls I hatched last year almost 3 days to hatch that was from the first crack I saw in the egg.
Under my broody call hen it took 2 days for all of the 7 call baby's to hatch

I personally would wait Like CityChicker said I too don't intervene with chicks or ducklings and it takes a long time for ducklings to hatch.
It's always everyones personal choice to do what they feel is right in these situations and I try not to advise anyone on what to do or not do.
If you do intervene at any point if you encounter bleeding stop it's not ready to be opened and is still absorbing the yolk.

Hope they all hatch and do great for you
smile.png

Quick update: As of this morning, 6 of the 9 had hatch. And the other 3 were continuing to pip, so I am hoping for a 100% hatch rate.

Okay, here's what happened: all the ducks had internally pipped. Not long after that they each made one small pip, then 24 hours had passed by with no progress. I started thinking that something was wrong, so I helped one out. 12 hours later... still not any progress from the original pips. So, I helped a second one out. Both of those were weak and really it was too soon for them to have been removed. So, I thought okay I'm going to just let things alone. This morning when I woke up, none had hatch but an hour later one had hatched, then within 30 minutes two more had hatch, and then an hour or so later another had hatch. So by the time I had left work, 6 had hatch and the other 3 were working on it. It seems that they all made one small pip, rested, then got a second wind this morning for the zip. I actually regret that I helped the first two... they didnt need my help. And they are weaker than the other, but I think they will make. I'm not an advocate of helping birds hatch. In fact, I've never done it before. But I got worried and wanted to see what is going on. The four that hatched themselves are very energetic and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom