~~Call Duck eggs hatching~~ PICS

i have a question.. you say they are purebred.. but then like a sentence after you say there from a grey hen and a white drake??? fill me in please..
hmm.png

Pure bred means a call duck bred to a call duck?? Not mixed breeds. Pure breeds. Has nothing to do with color. Or that is how I would look at it. They are purebred but mixed colors?

Marie

Sometimes you breed white to gray to find color under the white - at least that works in Runners. Dunno about calls. I'm gonna do that with my Runners next year. I think you can also breed gray to snowy to improve the snowy type, (F2 generation).

Quote:
I would also agree that purebred is like color to like color, however it seems lots of people don't share that standard.

Purebred call ducks is when you breed a Pure call to a Pure call. But then you have Purebred Gray call ducks, which is a pure gray bred with a pure gray.

Ah, see I look at it the same way as I do my Ameraucanas, if I breed mixed colors I no longer have Ameraucanas, just easter eggers.

However as this thread is about the cute ducklings, I'll get back to that rather then debating what is a purebred.
big_smile.png

Thanks.

I just want to say that a Purebred Call Duck is when both of its parents are Purebred Call Ducks, doesnt matter what color.

Then a Purebred Gray Call Duck is a purebred gray call duck when both of its parents are Pure gray calls.

I was so glad to get 7 out of 8 to hatch. I had the mother sitting on 8 of her eggs and she hatched out all 8. Last year I had hardly any call ducks hatch when I hatched them my self.

I am so worried about my call eggs - we are on day 20 now for 4 of them. I hope to get one or two to hatch.
fl.gif

Your hatch rate was awesome SW, and they are adorable!

Well I guess my question is what accepted standard color is a white hen X grey drake? I'm new to call ducks so I'll admit my knowledge is limited. Do call ducks not conform to a standard? If not how are the judged? Can anyone suggest some books/resources to read.

I'm looking at the national call breeders page now, and think I'll order some of their books.

Back
Top Bottom