Call Duck Eggs!

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Yesterday, I picked up 8 call duck eggs from a farmer. She said the eggs were 2-3 weeks old, she was expecting the duck to go sit on the eggs, but she never did. Some of the eggs could be less than 2 weeks old, but most are probably around 2 weeks old. Do you think they are still fertile. I compared their air sacs next to a freshly laid call duck egg and it was about a quarter in diameter, but wasn't huge.

I am also laying them on their side and hand turning the eggs, I hear they do better like this than upright in an automatic turner? I am turning them 3 times a day!

Any advice is much appreciated!

I am not an expert having only just hatched my first clutch of call ducks but I suggest you pm Lacrystol, she IS an expert!

Yesterday, I picked up 8 call duck eggs from a farmer. She said the eggs were 2-3 weeks old, she was expecting the duck to go sit on the eggs, but she never did. Some of the eggs could be less than 2 weeks old, but most are probably around 2 weeks old. Do you think they are still fertile. I compared their air sacs next to a freshly laid call duck egg and it was about a quarter in diameter, but wasn't huge.

I am also laying them on their side and hand turning the eggs, I hear they do better like this than upright in an automatic turner? I am turning them 3 times a day!

Any advice is much appreciated!
Check https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/760871/call-ducks-finally-hatched

If anybody knows, I still haven't found the answer, I guess I will know in a few more days when I candle them! Where are all the call duck experts???? Lol!

You really can't tell if they are fertilized by looking at the egg, there's two ways to check fertality one is by cracking it open and looking for the bulls eye, OR start incubating them, in about 4 days with the right kind of candling you should be able to see the spider like veins.

AT three weeks old you loose the possibility of them developing, not so much loosing fertility. the older the egg is the less likely it will develop.

I personally can tell at day 2 and 3 because I'm familar with what I'm looking for, if your not sure then you best bet is to wait 4 days if you still can't see anything then give them 7 days, if still nothing then wait 10 days if nothing then I would toss them. they aren't going to develop.

Thanks! I will candle them tomorrow, I hope at least a few of the eggs are developing.

Back
Top Bottom