Call duck foot problem!

Boogrey

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2018
Have noticed this morning that my little Jemima has a sore toe, she survived a mink attack last week, which killed her mate, so may have injured it trying to hide.:hit
Any suggestions for the best home remedies...or is a visit to he vet in order?? Thanks all. IMG_20180403_105438126.jpg

Looks like an abscess around the lower toenail? Is it soft, do you think you could try to open it and let the pus drain, and do some warm salt water soaks to help pull out the infection?

Looks like an abscess around the lower toenail? Is it soft, do you think you could try to open it and let the pus drain, and do some warm salt water soaks to help pull out the infection?
Thanks for the reply.
It is quite hard. I think I would need to insert something sharp into it???
I could definitely soak it though.

Abscesses can feel hard, try a small needle - if it won't insert easily, then I would try the soaks.

Why don't you also place the question under the general emergencies forum for more opinions.

If you do have access to a vet who treats fowl, best to call them?

Great thanks for the advice.
I will have a go with a needle and soaking today.
I am lucky, and do have a super vet who has treated both my ducks and chooks in the past, so if I don't have any luck I'll give him a call.:)

One thing about duck pus is it isn't runny it's cheesy so you won't get it to drain, it will have to be cut out so a vet would be the way to go because she will probably need a course of antibiotics afterward.

@Boogrey :welcome

My personal preference does not like using needles to "drain" pus in duck feet. Rather an x-acto blade or a scalpel is preferred to make a tiny slice. Since we know that the pus is firm--not liquid--it needs an exit space to be removed, and that is why a needle won't work. You might be surprised at just how well a tiny cut will work. The real problem is holding the foot (and the rest of the animal) still. Having a second person is always useful.
My other preference is to do the "surgery" AFTER soaking the foot, since the tissue will have become more tender from the water. And if a post-surgical soak is desired, it will only do good, also, as long as the soaking medium and the foot are clean!
Good luck, whatever you choose to do!

Back
Top Bottom