Call duck laying soft shelled eggs?

Songster
12 Years
Jan 20, 2011
Delavan, Wi
i posted this on another topic but maybe more people will be able to help? so first call duck egg of the season right? should be
wee.gif
but i only have one problem.... shes only laying soft shelled eggs! Anyone out there have any suggestions on what i can do to stop this? is there any good supplements out there? does she need more calcium? I used to have 3 girls and one was laying soft shelled eggs last year but i didnt know who .. well now i do! is this genetics?

My one Call Duck laid soft shell eggs last year so I added Calcium and the shell did harden. This year all shells are hard. Also, last year were her first eggs.

About the genetics I do not know so hopefully someone else can help.

a couple of our pekins were laying some soft shellers during the real cold weather, we fed more,(flockraiser*) and mixed in crushed oyster shell, and all is well. now it's just part of the daily diet. good luck to all, hope this helps.

one of my calls laid her First egg in Feb and it was soft, which is common.. I leave out free choice oyster shell in a seperate bowl by itself and my girls gobble it down (when they are laying) like candy..that way I dont have to switch feed.... it was the only soft one. Did u leave out oyster shell.? otherwise you would need to feed layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom