call duck laying

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by happy call duck, Mar 1, 2013.

1. happy call duck

happy call duck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2012
    Isle of wight England
    I have 3 call ducks 2 Male's and 1 female. They all get on Reilly well. Hanny has stared laying her eggs under the bush in there in closer. will they hatched or do i take them away. She sits on them all night until late morning. and then she comes out and feeds for a couple of hours then goes back until morning the to boy's Bob and Charlie stand guard over her. Is there any thing i should be doing or do i leave her to it.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is this her first time trying to hatch? Calls can be tricky to hatch so I personally would allow her to try to hatch them.

3. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Let her hatch them.

4. happy call duck

Oct 5, 2012
    Isle of wight England
    This is her first time sitting on them. she seams to be of and on all the time for feeding and swimming.she has laid about 10 eggs ?

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I wouldn't allow her to hatch more than 10. I'd probably be more likely to try 6-8 maximum. Also I reread your original post and it said that you had 2 males and a female. Are those the only ducks in that area? I'm afraid you're going to run into problems with that ratio especially if you try have ducklings in there with them.

6. happy call duck

Oct 5, 2012
    Isle of wight England
    Hi yes that is all ive got they have all grown up together. what are the problem's i could run into with them they all seam to get on. i have taken 5 out and incubating in doors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by