call duck made a nest outside

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chapalafarms, May 12, 2011.

1. chapalafarms

chapalafarms New Egg

May 12, 2011
    hello. my call ducks live with the chickens in the chicken coop. my girl call duck recently made a nest outside in our backyard and seems to be brooding, very protective, sits there all day, runs to get food very quickly and goes back. i am worried because this is her first night outside. i am i california so it doesn't get that cold at night. we don't have many predators but there could be a opossum or raccoon. what can i do? can i move her nest to some where secure? try and secure the area she is in? just looking for some advice. thanks.

2. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I've only had my calls for a couple of years so I'm never going to be the most knowledgable person to comment but my calls free range. Two of them are laying in the same nest in the hut, one of them is laying under the hedge in the garden. I will not let her stay the night outside. She would not last an hour, the fox or badger would get her without a doubt. I don't know if she will continue to sit on them if you move them into the hut, but I would say that it is better to risk that than let her stay the night unprotected especially in America where you have more predators than here in England.
    I know someone who tried to move her mallard's nest into the coop and she didn't sit any longer and once I tried to make my own nest in the hut and put their eggs in it and they ignored it, so I don't know of anyway of moving it and keeping her interest. But she can lay more eggs. Lock her up safe tonight. She can lay more eggs.
    PS
    Bet she is cute! Got any pictures?
    xxxxxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by