Call Duck Nesting Help!

Strawbs

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2021
Qld, Australia
So I have 2 call ducks 1 boy and 1 girl (all of our ducks and chickens free-range). The other day I had let them out a bit later than usual and there was her first egg (or what I thought was her first egg) I was so excited! So the next day (yesterday) we has quite a bit of frost so I left them in longer because it was so cold, there was her second egg. But she was laying them randomly and I was disappointed because I was hoping she would start making a nest to go broody.

Then today I opened up her cage a bit earlier because I was already doing other chores on the farm. When I went over she was pacing at the door so I opened it and she bolted out and went through one of out fences and into some scrub. So I went and had a look and I looks like she has made a nest in there I didnt get a really good look because I didnt want to disturb her. So I think she has been laying her eggs there for a while but the past 2 days I hadn't let them out as early and she had really needed to lay so she been laying in her coop.

But the Delmer I am faced with is where she is laying is not fox proof and I will need to move her but I was wondering if anyone had advice on when it is best to move them? Because I still want her to make and laying a nest to go broody, so I was wondering if it is better to move her now before she goes broody or after one she has already gone broody??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the tag! Sorry I haven’t been on much, I’ve been very busy.

OP: I don’t have experience moving one of my call’s nests. Hopefully one of the others @Miss Lydia tagged will come along, as they will probably have great advice for you. I’m not sure when would be the best time. I wouldn’t leave her out unprotected though, I have lost a broody guinea that way.

Sorry I don’t have better advice for you. Maybe this post might be helpful.
Post in thread 'Moving Broody Duck's nest??? (for future reference)'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...st-for-future-reference.1250927/post-20068643

Last edited:
So I have 2 call ducks 1 boy and 1 girl (all of our ducks and chickens free-range). The other day I had let them out a bit later than usual and there was her first egg (or what I thought was her first egg) I was so excited! So the next day (yesterday) we has quite a bit of frost so I left them in longer because it was so cold, there was her second egg. But she was laying them randomly and I was disappointed because I was hoping she would start making a nest to go broody.

Then today I opened up her cage a bit earlier because I was already doing other chores on the farm. When I went over she was pacing at the door so I opened it and she bolted out and went through one of out fences and into some scrub. So I went and had a look and I looks like she has made a nest in there I didnt get a really good look because I didnt want to disturb her. So I think she has been laying her eggs there for a while but the past 2 days I hadn't let them out as early and she had really needed to lay so she been laying in her coop.

But the Delmer I am faced with is where she is laying is not fox proof and I will need to move her but I was wondering if anyone had advice on when it is best to move them? Because I still want her to make and laying a nest to go broody, so I was wondering if it is better to move her now before she goes broody or after one she has already gone broody??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sometimes you can move their nest once they are committed to sitting but it doesn't always work.
If you get an idea what time of day she's laying it would probably be better if you kept her confined to the area you want her to nest until she lays her daily egg.
If you don't want her laying out there where it isnt Fox proof
I would pick those eggs up and destroy that nest daily.

Thank you! We have started locking her up in the morning and getting her to lay in the coop and fingers crossed she starts making a nest and not laying them everywhere in there. :fl

Back
Top Bottom