Call duck nesting

This is a clearer one, ginger is getting a horsy from mummy!

When mummy left with the ducklings I checked her last egg and it just had black lumps in it, but was so glad there wasn't a half formed duck or worse one that had dies before I checked it!

Parents are a mix, blended from white call ducks and black ones, don't know any specifics alas.

We are in Scotland, thankfully it's warm just now (well high teens) so the ducklings are enjoying the sunlight!

Daddy seems to be coping well also. He pecked the ducklings a little but mummy hit him off, and so did I lol. Mummy let me stroke one but then pecked me so it's progress! They are all in their house now cuddled up like a family! Very cute.

This is a clearer one, ginger is getting a horsy from mummy!

When mummy left with the ducklings I checked her last egg and it just had black lumps in it, but was so glad there wasn't a half formed duck or worse one that had dies before I checked it!

Parents are a mix, blended from white call ducks and black ones, don't know any specifics alas.

We are in Scotland, thankfully it's warm just now (well high teens) so the ducklings are enjoying the sunlight!

Daddy seems to be coping well also. He pecked the ducklings a little but mummy hit him off, and so did I lol. Mummy let me stroke one but then pecked me so it's progress! They are all in their house now cuddled up like a family! Very cute.

They are beautiful!!! :love

I do see some wild type coloring in mums chest below her bib, so does look like they're from mixed color breeding... your light colored duckling looks very similar to my ducklings that we call Snowy here... might be called Silver or Spot there, I'd have to look that up... once it feathers out, color will be much more apparent... :)

So glad they are doing well together! I've rarely had an issue with Call drakes, but you just never know until they're in that situation how they will act... and she trusts you, that is awesome! :)

Oh, and go ahead and remove the other egg, would hate for it to explode and cover the babies in nasty bacteria...

I removed the egg yesterday once I delicately opened it up to check there wasn't a struggling chick inside. Once assessing the lack of life I threw it out and gave them new bedding as it was 3 weeks old! Thanks for the tips!

Last question... Mummy and daddy where adults when we got them so totally terrified of people. Over the year they tolerate me now and will come close but catching is hell. I'd like the ducklings to be more hand friendly as we have children.

Mummy threw a fit when I went near them. Are there and requirements, precautions to raising them away from mummy? Im concerned she will raise them to be terrified of people. They are 48 hours old and eating, drinking and paddling on their own now.

You could take them away from her, but since it's been 48 hrs they've already imprinted on her... it's your choice if you want to try to break that bond, but I don't knkw how successful you'd be...

Do you give them treats they really like? Most ducks love things like thawed frozen peas or mealworms (dried ones are fine)... spending a lot of time sitting as near as you possibly can without trying to pick them up or touch them would help a lot... scatter some treats around you and sit for a while... make a schedule of it, like an hour a day or every other day for example... once they realize the treats are good and you'll let them come eat without grabbing, they'll come closer and closer... the babies may even start climbing over your feet, legs or arms if you let them... just take things slow and easy... it's very hard and a long process to gain their trust but it can be done...

Another option is, once she starts laying eggs again, collect them and incubate those yourself and they will imprint on you when they hatch...

I'll leave them with her and keep visiting them. Don't want to upset them if I don't have to. I'll incubate the eggs next time:)

That would be my choice as well, honestly... sounds like they are doing well as a family and I'm not one to break that up either... patience and bribery can work wonders! Just don't give up and show her and them that you can be trusted, it'll pay off in the end... :)

Tragedy has struck.. One of the ducklings was killed today and looks like one of the parents fell on it.

Not going to risk the other 2 so have moved them into a small enclosure where they can be safe. Mummy is going nuts but she didn't even seem to care about the dead one! Suppose that's nature tho..

Back
Top Bottom