Call duck offspring color patterns

Unspecified_error

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
Six Shooter Junction, Texas
In the photos, is the yellow duckling with dark spots just a faulty white call duck or is it known as some other color? My male is white but has one small dark spot on his back. My all-white female duck hatched 13 eggs. Most babies came out all yellow, but two had a few dark spots, and one is the black bibbed duckling shown. Is the bibbed one likely from a mallard-colored mother/white father interloper egg?

Finally, one mallard-colored female (in photo) doesn’t have any blue stripes on her wings. Can I infer anything about her genetics from this, and should I expect more interesting babies from her than my more normal blue-striped female? So far I have just gotten three mallard-colored ducklings from their eggs, brooded under a silkie chicken. I suppose I’ll need to wait until maturity to see any interesting features.

This was my ducks’ and my first hatch. I was surprised by the success. Thanks for any help or advice!

Attachments

• B34C4E13-78DE-4980-B452-B59BA5EF7BD8.jpeg
    B34C4E13-78DE-4980-B452-B59BA5EF7BD8.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 77
  • 123B3107-9A3A-4F20-9811-F0F005EB88E0.jpeg
    123B3107-9A3A-4F20-9811-F0F005EB88E0.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 42
Thanks. I had tried using that site, but didn’t know what to call my female duck without blue on her wings. I also don’t know what color is hidden under the white on my white ducks. It seems extended black or black bibbed may be possible. I have ducks and a chicken sitting on more call duck eggs, and will post updates when any hatch.

In the photos, is the yellow duckling with dark spots just a faulty white call duck or is it known as some other color? My male is white but has one small dark spot on his back. My all-white female duck hatched 13 eggs. Most babies came out all yellow, but two had a few dark spots, and one is the black bibbed duckling shown. Is the bibbed one likely from a mallard-colored mother/white father interloper egg?

Finally, one mallard-colored female (in photo) doesn’t have any blue stripes on her wings. Can I infer anything about her genetics from this, and should I expect more interesting babies from her than my more normal blue-striped female? So far I have just gotten three mallard-colored ducklings from their eggs, brooded under a silkie chicken. I suppose I’ll need to wait until maturity to see any interesting features.

This was my ducks’ and my first hatch. I was surprised by the success. Thanks for any help or advice!
Maybe @Pyxis could be of assistance. She’s great with color genetics. :D

Also adorable ducklings @Unspecified_error ! I love call ducks (and have too many :p)! I’m also glad you had a great hatch!:woot

Thanks. I had tried using that site, but didn’t know what to call my female duck without blue on her wings. I also don’t know what color is hidden under the white on my white ducks. It seems extended black or black bibbed may be possible. I have ducks and a chicken sitting on more call duck eggs, and will post updates when any hatch.
Can it be dusky mallard?

Back
Top Bottom