Call duck people, I have a question..:)

jkcove08

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Iowa
I am somewhat confused right now. I have a pair of call ducks that were hatched this spring. Both the drake and hen were hatched from different people and then I bought them. They must just now be coming into breeding age. I just figured that next spring they would start having fun and I would get eggs. It is November in Iowa and the temps are showing it. We have been in the 20s at night and 40s to 50s during the day and even had a few snow flurries Monday night. I looked out my window this afternoon to see the call ducks going at it.
he.gif
This was truely a suprise to me. Now finally to the question, will the hen start laying eggs even though it is not their season here or are theyjust practicing for spring. I just want to know if I have to start checking the shelters for eggs and get them collected and in a bator. I dont want them to go to waste. Thanks Jenn

Last edited:
I think about two weeks to a month before they lay they start mating. So who knows you may get lucky too.

ML

If she lays eggs this late in the year, fertility will be way down(maybe as low as 20%). So, if you get 10 eggs which is doubtful maybe 2 will be fertile. Out of the one's you place in the bator, 80% is a high hatchability rate......so what I'm getting at is 80% of 2 is 1.6 ducks..Better if you just collect the eggs and pitch them. Mine lay an egg every now and then this late and I just pitch them. OR you can hard boil themm and chop them up and feed them to the ducks and/or chickens. I know you are hoping for little one's but, your chances are very slim..

Thanks! I am hatching chick eggs right now and dont need any more ducklings. I will wait until spring. My hen is sooooo tiny that I cant wait to see how small of eggs she lays. I thought my little male was small until I got her. I thought she would grow a little but she never did. She is so cute I cant wait. I think I am going to call the lady I got her from and see if they have any more little hens. The drake will mate with more then 1 hen wont he? I know wild ducks mate up but do tame ones do too? I hope not because I would love to have 2 or 3 of these tiny hens with my snowy male. The hens were colored like wild malard hens in the browns. I would love to get more eggs in the spring of a few different colors but I want to try and get the smallest ones I can get. We will see. Jenn

Yes...he'll be more than happy to have other girl friends!! What you don't want are more drakes than hens. Drakes can get real hard on the hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom