Call Duck Questions Please

CK Chickadilly

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
West Michigan
My friend has some cute little ducks she calls them call ducks. I can't find much on call ducks so I have some questions.

1) are call ducks bantam ducks?

2) How big do they get

3) are they friendly?

4) do you incubate their eggs like chicken eggs?

5) how messy are they?

6) do they have to be under lights like baby chicks? how long?

7) are call ducks easy to care for? & in winter?

Anyway, anything you can tell me about them would be great. Are there any good books that are strictly about call ducks?

Thanks!
smile.png

Awwww Katy, your duck is adorable! Thanks for answering my questions. I was thinking of getting some around the time I get some Guineas, proably late spring after my chicks are able to go outside.
big_smile.png

thay ARE cute!..i finally got to see one in real life at the poultry show....LOVE THEM!..but...i already have regular size ducks..so, i am afraid of the little ones getting hurt....
sad.png

We have four call ducks. They are very cute and will eat corn from our hands as long as we don't move to much. We have a runner duck with them and they all get along fine. They do tend to fly though. Some mornings when we open the Garage to let them all out the two younger girls will fly all the way around the house a couple times They never go far though. They do like to swim and make a mess of the water in the winter. When we used a waterer they couldn't get in they got very dirty, especially Joseph the white drake. I posted a pic of them with the runner duck on another post here today. if you search bossynbella you can find it.
Wouldn't trade them for any other duck!

I agree with what's been posted. I find that my calls are very low maintainance. Some food and water and a place to hide and they are happy. My Grey's are very quiet but one of my Snowy's is a big mouth.

As far as messy, yes they can be messy. The area around their pool is trashed but the duck house is surprisingly clean still. I've had mine for almost nine months and haven't had to clean the duck house out once. Albeit it is 4x8 ft for 5 tiny ducks.

Mine are very friendly but not really approachable. If you want to hold one you have to work for it. The big mouth is a bitter though. She will grab the skin on your hand and willl a the alligator death roll with her head. It don't hurt but funny to watch.

jeremy

Quote:
1. Yes they are bantam ducks.

2. They get about 1.5 pounds.

3. Call Ducks are the friendlist of all ducks. They are just like puppies when you go into their pen to feed/water.

4. Yes they will incubate their own eggs, and do a mighty fine job doing so.

5. They can be messy, but not as messy as the larger breeds of ducks.

6. Yes they do need to be under a light. I would leave them under a light 24/7 until they are at least 50-75% featherd, then just keep the light on them at night until they are fully feathered.

7. They are very easy to care for. They need a dish with shallow sides to swim in and drink from, and a bowl of food. They also love fresh grass clippings, and worms and dirt to dig around in.

A great book, that I think anybody with calls should get is "The Call Duck Breed Book". The nation call duck breeders association has the book on its webstore. They have the new revised edition with color photos. i have the 1983 edition. It is a great book. That book is def. a must have for all call duck breeders/owners.

Here is a picture of my new whites, a gray call hen, and a group of mixed color calls.
DSC09658.jpg

DSC09624.jpg

DSC09625.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom