Call Duck Questions

4H Girl

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 25, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new to call ducks, and I have a few questions.

1. When is call duck breeding season? I heard that we a getting close to it, but I wasn't sure when it really starts.

2. How should I have them set up? I have read that you need them in a small pen up off the ground, but I have had a friend breed hers in just a normal pen. I currently have mine in 10x10's coops.

3.I have heard that hatching call eggs is hard, is that so? Am I better to let the hens sit, or put the eggs under my chickens, or bring them in the house and put them in the incubator? I have been very successful hatching Mallard eggs both under the hen and in the incubator.

The girl I got my pair of Ginger calls from said that they had never layed for her before, and they are already 3 years old. But she also had them in with all their chickens. In late Oct the hen did lay one egg for me after being caged and crated for 3 weeks after a series of back to back shows. I had had the pair for two months at that time.

The trio of White calls I got from another girl who had been showing and breeding them, She hatched several of their eggs (I'm not sure is she did incubator or under the hen, I think she did both). I have three of the offspring as well.

Thanks ~4-H Girl~

you can have the calls on an above ground pen if you want it is more hygienic, but you could have them on a ground pen, its your choice, I have a pair of mandarins on an above ground pen and it works well.

Hi guys, I'm new to call ducks, and I have a few questions.

1. When is call duck breeding season? I heard that we a getting close to it, but I wasn't sure when it really starts.

2. How should I have them set up? I have read that you need them in a small pen up off the ground, but I have had a friend breed hers in just a normal pen. I currently have mine in 10x10's coops.

3.I have heard that hatching call eggs is hard, is that so? Am I better to let the hens sit, or put the eggs under my chickens, or bring them in the house and put them in the incubator? I have been very successful hatching Mallard eggs  both under the hen and in the incubator.

The girl I got my pair of Ginger calls from said that they had never layed for her before, and they are already 3 years old. But she also had them in with all their chickens. In late Oct the hen did lay one egg for me after being caged and crated for 3 weeks after a series of back to back shows. I had had the pair for two months at that time.

The trio of White calls I got from another girl who had been showing and breeding them, She hatched several of their eggs (I'm not sure is she did incubator or under the hen, I think she did both). I have three of the offspring as well.

Thanks ~4-H Girl~

1. Breeding season varies where you live up usually between feb. 1st to the end of march. Here in ky last of February/1st of march is usually the start of ours.
2. You can do ground coop just make sure they have something to swim in and don't mind cleaning pens very often because they are messy on the ground, calls prefer to breed in water... It's easier for them. Also they tend to breed after changing the water.
3. Calls in the colors white and gray tend to be more difficult to hatch... Colored birds are easier.
You can incubate any way is easier for you chickens tend to have a better hatch rate or you can set them under a chicken for the first 2 weeks then put them in the incubator the rest... Your first two weeks is the rickiest time to loose them but once your past that time you usually won't loose any till hatch time.

Thank you so much everyone!!!!

Does it matter if the dog/cat food is dry or wet? I have found somewhere else to use canned, and to not give them that much of it because of how high in protein it is. What protein level should they be at? I use a 15% protein feed.

For now I am going to try them on the ground in the 10x10's, as this is easiest for me, but if they won't breed or lay eggs I may try them in an off the ground.
I know the whites should breed/lay on the ground, as they have done it before.

I have witnessed the gingers "trying" to breed, but he wasn't quite sure what end he was suppose to be at (he was doing it backwards). They are the ones that I am told have never laid before.

Thank you again, ~4-H Girl~

Dry dog food is what I feed and I feed 18% protein 6% fat all breed dog food. With my mixture I am feeding 14% protein 11% fat but will up the protein to 18% in the next few weeks for breeding season

Back
Top Bottom