Call Duck with sinus infection?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by [email protected]@2four, Nov 9, 2008.

1. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Hello all...so I have a little khaki call duck whose cheeks are extra puffy...I just thought it was cause she was extra cute! A lady who raises TONS of ducks saw her and told me she has a severe sinus infection and that her cheeks shouldn't be that puffy! Now I just feel horrible...she suggested Baytril injectable, but that isn't sold in the US anymore, so any suggestion on what kind of antibiotic I can give her and the dosage??? PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    Is she sneezing/snorting?? or wheezing?...I have NEVER had a duck get sick, so I have no idea, but I know with chickens, they sneeze and snort. so i figure it'd be the same with ducks.

3. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    I JUST had someone on my bantam call duck group ask this very same question on one of there ducks who had a sinus infection. A friend of mine, told them what to do and how to treat the duck, and last update the swelling went down and it was A-OK!
    I will send you a PM - I cant remember exactly what he said to do. But it can be found in the past posts.

ETA- I found the posts and looks like they went to the Vet and picked up the Baytril Injectable and followed the directions given by my good friend whos been breeding calls and just about every varity of waterfowl in the standards for many many many years!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  4. P@P@2four

[email protected]@2four Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2008
    Port Deposit, MD
    Thanks for the PM and info! I thought the Baytril injectable was banned in the US? Is there any other kind of injectable I can use? I have Oxytetracycline(LA-200), but would never use that unless someone has on a duck with no problem. I have no problem treating my chickens, but the ducks are a whole 'nother story! Just makes me nervous! Any thoughts as I want to treat her right away--I feel horrible! BTW, the lady you are speaking of doesn't happen to live in New Jersey, does she??? Cause the woman I talked to has owned thousands of ducks and raised them over 25 years...just thought it would be funny if it was the same lady you were referring to...anyhow, any help would be GREAT! Thanks!!!
    God bless,
    Tracey

5. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    No its not the same person, my friend is male, really old LOL APA Judge and farmer and has had his birds for 40+ years and there family still shows.

I am not sure if the Baytril is banned. I dont keep up on that stuff. I do believe my PM might of had another type of antibotic because the baytril didnt work. Have you tried to call your vet to see if you could get it there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by