Call duckling care and call duck care.

I've been trying to find the post about it but if you can put a tub or tote with somewhat taller sides, with a wall of it cut out, and put their waterer in it; it can help with the mess in the brooder. You will want to leave a lip on the bottom and cover the cut edges with something like a split garden hose. It should be around the 8" tall range or so.

Ducklings are extremely easy to take care of aside from the mess and smell. Keeping the brooder smells bearable and the waterer clean are the main concerns. Call's are a bit more fragile though, I've had one just out of the blue die from both of the batches I raised. This was shortly after shipping though, which was probably the main factor.

How many are you thinking of getting?

So I was going to give them duck starter for 2-4 weeks as I have read then move them on to growers pellets or do they need duck starter until they are adults? Then what?

Only give it to 'em for the first few weeks, then swap. Otherwise they WILL get too much protein.

Have you read the raising duckling sticky?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

I think Amiga posted it on the first page??

anyhow, calls are small and will take awhile before a pellet can be eaten, i prefer ideally an 18% so basically a flock raiser.. it's a crumb and then can be dropped when their older..they can eat pellets all mine do now BUT i find it depends on the bird for the when as the beak sizing varies and plays a role in whether they can eat pellets.

I keep mine on a stable 16% chicken(aka pullet grower) i could use an 18% i have with no ill effects(again a flock raiser of sorts)

Main thing with calls.

Loud Females are LOUD! cannot stress this enough, so if noise is a concern, skip 'em

size they are small and can fit through all sorts of things, especially as young, this also makes them VERY vulnerable to predators.

Flying both sexes do this and Very, very well. I keep mine full flight and opt to net the cage...

after that duck in a small package, their perky, cuddly little buggers who adore to chatter.. mine go off like a wave of noise when they see me and considering i only have a bakers dozen the noise ! lol they do great in winter, love water, play in the hose and aren't fussy in general.. mudding is a favourite pastime.

Last edited:
Thank you so much information I am still abut confused about the feeding could you tell me what you feed from day 1 to when they are laying and all about how much niacin you give them at different stages?

Sorry I am a bit simple!!:lol:

Not simple, there are all kinds of opinions, not everyone does it the same! I don't have calls, but @Going Quackers does.

Also, there is Da Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread.

Last edited:
Sorry I ment to ask going quackers what he personally fed his call ducks

I am trawling through the call duck thread they are all so adorable!!!

I kept mine on unmedicated chick starter until they had all their feathers, then they were moved in with the chickens and eat layer pellets/wheat/sunflower seeds.

Back
Top Bottom