call duckling die in shell

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by critterranch, Mar 7, 2011.

1. critterranch

critterranch Songster

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    had a call duckling pip but die in shell. it had a deformed beak with only one nostril and skinny bill. tongue hung out because bill was so skinny.

anyone elese have this happen or just a freak thing?

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Crowing

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    There was someone on BYC that had ducklings that died right after they pipped internally and had a similar problem with deformed heads and bills. But, they weren't calls.

3. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I'm sorry. [​IMG] I've hatched a few call ducks, and I've had a couple die in the process of hatching, but I didn't notice any obvious deformity. Your case may just be a fluke. If it should happen to another from the same parent stock, then it could be a genetic flaw that you'd want to avoid.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. critterranch

critterranch Songster

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    not sure it wasn't my eggs. i got 20 eggs from a friend and 20 of mine. hope it was a fluke. going to ask my friend to see what she says.

6. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    So sorry to hear about the duckling. I lost a duckling two days ago. It's so hard to lose one.

It's nice that people on BYC are understanding though.

7. duckking

duckking Songster

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Songster

Feb 5, 2011
    Freak accidents happen, even when you are doing everything right. Some problems can be caused by a lack of certain vitamins inside of the egg. I put my duck for hatching eggs on a supplement. Sorry for your loss, don't give up.

9. BHep

BHep Crowing

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I just lost 2 Calls at pip. 1 absorbed its yoke, 1 did not. 0% hatch..... very disappointing & heartbreaking. I know how you feel, sorry to hear of your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: