call duckling on his back

fowllover

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2012
Missouri
Hello-

We had a call duck hatch Tuesday. He eats and drinks well. His problem is that he can't seem to stay upright. When he does end up on his back he can't turn himself back over. What do you guys think I need to do for him? Poor little guy just lays there until we help him out.

This could indicate a serious problem. He could be getting duck viral hepatitis, which would cause neurological and balance problems and eventually death. Has he shown any other odd signs, such as going off on his own, losing his appetite or eating a little less, or seeming at all lethargic?

In any case, some vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics may help, though the hepatitis is a tough one. I have misplaced my Storey's Guide so I hope someone else has it handy and can make recommendations.

Another neurological problem can be due to inadequate niacin levels. Apparently, optimum niacin levels differ from duck to duck, so what is enough for one may not be enough for another. I would consider adding niacin to the water, 100 to 150 mg per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom