Call Ducklings dieing, Please Help

For my call ducklings, I'm using heavy bottomed coffee cups for waterers. They're tall enough to hold enough water so they can rinse their nose and eyes but heavy enough that they're not knocking them over while they're doing that.

I still wouldn't keep them on that gamebird feed for two long. I think its either 24 or 28% protein and that's alot! Mine are just going on the Mazuri Waterfowl Maintaince because we can't get the Purina duck grower down here.

Laurie

Coffee cup is a good idea, But im not sure how far inside the new borns can reach, Will one of these do the trick? I have a few smaller ones laying around

Quote:
That is what I use only in plastic... I hang mine from overtop of my brooder and keep it a couple inches off the bottom of the brooder to keep the ducklings from being able to climb up and in it. I actually made sort of a chain out of zip ties on the handle so that I can raise and lower it as needed.

Consider picking up a copy of Storey's Guide to Ducks - it has a lot of great information about raising ducklings from hatching. I've not had your experience with them dying using it.

There's a few things I see that make me wonder:
1) ducks need water 24/7 at that stage and it needs to be deep enough to get their whole beak in, we used Pyrex dishes for this. One gallon per 25 ducks is the recommendation.

2) what temperature is your brooder? It should be 90 degrees below the light and the room should be above 50. Is it well ventilated?

3) ducklings generally require flock raiser for the first few months.

Good luck!

the medicated purina feed is fine to feed I feed mine that all the time! Also when they are born put then in a deep bowl with a towel so that if they fall on there backs they will role back over on thier feet!

Back
Top Bottom