Call ducklings

Toomanybirds22

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Hi everyone! I joined to ask you more experienced duck veterans a couple questions. I have two calls sitting on eggs. About 18 or so. Two days ago I found a duckling thrown out of the nest with part of the yolk sac not all the way absorbed. I grabbed it and brought it inside thinking that if it was going to die, it could at least do it inside under a lamp then cold and alone. I have incubated and hatched tons of both duck and chicken eggs. I've also raised all my little guys inside until they were big enough to "leave the nest". So I have a lot of experience in this area. Except for calls. I have never been able to incubate those. Which is why I let the mommy ducks do it.
Anyway, I digress. Last night 9 ducklings hatched and the mothers are doing a fantastic job taking care of them. I have no clue how it happened but my duckling inside is doing great! Eating and drinking and running around. I'd like to put him/her back under her mother so it can be with the other ducklings. What do you all think? Is it a risk worth taking? How and when should I do it? I would love to here any advice.

BTW they still have a couple eggs that have not hatched yet. I know there is something in them because I have candled them all. If that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom