1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Call Ducks and pen size?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmAbTo48, Mar 9, 2012.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    So I am getting 3 blue fawn calls, 2 hens 1 drake. However, I am not sure how much space they need for a run??? We have rouens/pekins that free range all day but calls are just so much tiner that I would rather build a run that attaches to a coop for them and that I can move to new pacthes of grass during the summer. Now I found a great rabbit run that connects to a hutch, but I wouldn't use that hutch. Its 40" length and 33" high. It looks big but I don't know if its big enough.

Thanks!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Ours are in raised pens here, house/shelter at one end, open with a cement mixing pan at the other for swimming. Works very well, keeps them safe, and makes their care easy too.

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    This is how my Call pens are set up as well. [​IMG]

4. Kb1220

Kb1220 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    MA
    Do call ducks have to be in raised pens?

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    No, but because of their size they need protection from predators. They can also fly very well of given half a chance.

6. Kb1220

Kb1220 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2012
    MA
    My fiance and I are planning on building a large rectangular run, is it ok to use some type of netting for the roof to keep out predators and to keep the calls from flying away?

7. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Well I am on my own for this pen hubby is working on our new duck coop and goose coop! And my ability to make things is limited LOL!

But I found these things just ideas:

Will this work for a shelter?? I was go to repaint, and then I am going to add like a step up for them to get inside. Do they need air vents?
    [​IMG]

And this is what I was thinking id either make or look around for I would have to cut wire and position so the shelter could stick into the run area. This is 47"L x 34"W x 38 1/2"H.
    [​IMG]

Again I am only getting 3.... let me know! any advice!!!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by