Call ducks day 31 not out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fiona123, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Fiona123

Fiona123 Chirping

May 14, 2018
    Hi ladies

I was on here last year and received so much help regarding trying to hatch call ducks which I know is a nightmare. However since then I now have 8 but school wanted to try and hatch some from my eggs for the kids.

However we are now day 31 and they internally and externally pipped by themselves. But haven’t got any further than picture below and been like this for 48 hours shall I open them up some more?

I had so much help last year so would really appreciate it x

Attached Files:

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

No..As long as they are not struggling to get out leave them. They should hatch within 24 hours from the external pip. Definitely lazy hatchers..Best wishes.

3. Fiona123

Fiona123 Chirping

May 14, 2018
    They have been external pipped like this for more than 24 hours but do you think leave them as don’t want to help too much before they have soaked all the yok up?

chickens really likes this.
  4. chickens really

That's fine..Are they still yawning and sleeping. Definitely don't start opening them if not ready.

5. Fiona123

Fiona123 Chirping

May 14, 2018
    Ok fab. Thank you ... when would I start to think they are struggling? Or how long leave them like this? Every child is awaiting the hatching

6. chickens really

Struggling is when they are trying to zip out but get stuck part way and the egg is rocking like crazy. Are all pips to the top side of the shell?

7. chickens really

Once a zip starts it takes about an hour or a bit more depending on how lazy they are..

8. Fiona123

Fiona123 Chirping

May 14, 2018
    They have zipped and top of egg off but are still just sitting in there

9. chickens really

Well resting then. You can post a picture which makes it easier for me to see..

10. chickens really

Zip or just pipped is totally different. I don't mean to sound condescending either. I can definitely help you with this if needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: