Call ducks feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leecey411, Aug 17, 2008.

1. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    I have my call ducklings on unmedicated food, but I think it is time to switch them the crumbles.They are about eight weeks old. Can I feed them medicated chicken crumbles?

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:No, I wouldn't feed them medicated food ever. I would get some 15% or less that is specific for the ducklings growth. [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've always fed my call ducklings medicated chick starter and then switch them to flock raiser by purina.

4. ridder

ridder Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    We raise mallards and no you cannot feed any duck medicated food . I have heard that some people can get away with it if they start them on medicated right from day one but we never wanted to take a chance. I wouldn't try it.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If the only "medication" in it is amprolium then it's fine for them. It's not even a medication really...it's a preventative. I've raised a lot of ducklings with it over time and never had any problems with it.

6. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    I've never used medicated feed. It can kill ducklings and I've never wanted to take a chance. If you can't get duck feed then you can just buy a feed that is at 15% protein or cut their feed with whole wheat.

7. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I never feed medicated feed to ducklings. I do however feed them "chick crumbles" until they are about 8 weeks and then I begin to decrease the crumbles 25% at a time. (100% down to 75% down to 50% and so on ) until I am only feeding them "game bird raiser". In the spring I begin mixing laying crumbles in with the game bird feed. (up to a 50-50 mix) In cold weather, mine get scratch because the corn helps with body heat but, this is the only time they get scratch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by