Call ducks <letting them brood>

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cat1994, Sep 13, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    :DHey every one im new i was wondering some things about letting call duck hens brood and raise their own

1) Do I need to move the hen and eggs to their own lil coop or can i keep them in the coop with the rest of my calls

2) dose the nest box need to have a roof over it like a box or something

3) I herd that male ducks will kill baby ducks is this ture if so dose this mean i need to move the mom and the babs as soon as they hatch

Help i need some answers [​IMG]

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Ducks dont like the be moved when they are sitting and she will most likely not sit in the new place. I would leave her in with the rest of the ducks. Adult ducks sometimes will kill the ducklings after they hatch, when they hatch I would move her and the babies to a new house. You can put a roof on her nest, but I dont think you need to.

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Thanks ChickieBooBoo

keep the replies coming:D

4. ducklover15

ducklover15 Chillin' With My Peeps

I let all my calls brood this year. Just let them sit where they are with the other ducks and let them do their thing. Once they hatch if you're having problems with the other ducks then I would suggest moving the babies. I had no babies killed this year and I always kept mamma and the babies in the large flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by