Call Ducks Sitting on Eggs Forever!

barnyard4H

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 5, 2012
RI
I am not a newbe when it comes to hatching eggs.

I am hoping for everyone's thought's though.

Yes nature should take it's course.

First I have two call's that have been sitting probably since beginning of April. And I mean sitting. The one which is my avitar hardly ever leaves the nest. I do live were it has been cold at night sometimes down in the low 40's which is not usual.

I set my polish eggs just over 4 weeks ago under some of my hens inside. They all hatched a week ago on time. I know the call ducks had been sitting and figured they should be hatching right before or around the same time.

We still had nothing but the one hen who comes out I could see that the eggs were black indicating that the ducklings were fully developed just not hatching yet. I then began to wonder if the other one had even fertile eggs or not. So I went out at night with the flash light and checked. Hers were the same too. This was four days ago Friday.

So I am thinking okay these should be hatching. Way to long for the hens to be sitting. So today I checked and no little ones so I figured I wonder which is odd for two nest but if they all died before hatching for some reason.

So I figured well I am going to grab one bring it in candle it real good see if can tell if the beak are in the air sack or not. IF it was alive or dead. And worse case open the egg to find out. If they were dead I wanted to get my hens off the nest and back eating at least.

Well to my surprise the egg I picked up had the air peck from the duckling.

After all of this I was wondering if anyone thought that maybe with the colder weather that it slowed down the incubation of the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom